UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2020, 1:06 pm   #21
Sparks
Heptode

Default Re: How can I remove the smell of stale cigarette smoke from a handset cord ?

Still in one piece and clean as a new pin. Not quite as smoky as before so some progress made. Currently hanging by an open window.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 5:24 pm   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: How can I remove the smell of stale cigarette smoke from a handset cord ?

Yes Andy, I agree!
The net curtains in my shop workshop survived for years without a wash. I had a mad fit one day and took them home for a cycle in the machine. On completion of the wash I opened the door to find a tiny piece of material. The rest had gone down with the rinse cycle! ROTTEN!

Make sure you don't end up with a rat's tail after all that washing, bleaching and radiation! John.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 7:36 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Try dunking it in Vinegar for a few days.

[In times-past I had several clients who were taxi-companies. Their 'despatch' operators had the 60-a-day Capstan Full-Strength habit - and the despatch-desk was 'live' for three shifts, 24 hours a day. I told my field-circus types to treat desk-mics from such sites as hazardous-waste and replace-not-repair]
Old 7th Jul 2020, 8:00 pm   #24
Sparks
Heptode

I've put the cord back on the phone and the smell has largely faded. Hopefully time and fresher air will deal with any lingering stink.

I imagine having to handle, repair and even discard telephones similarly contaminated was an occupational hazard for GPO field engineers and those involved in the wipe-up process. I'm glad I only had one smelly cord to deal with.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 1:42 am   #25
Techman
Dekatron

Personally, I'd be concerned about the water and chemical detergent trapped for years to come within the cable, which 'may' gradually migrate out over time into the handset and the main unit. You've certainly put some units on both your water and electricity meter! I would have given it a short soaking in cheap white vinegar and then perhaps thin bleach, keeping both ends out of the solution each time - I wouldn't have left it in the bleach overnight, but it seems like you've got away with it. Time will tell if there's any ill effects - let's hope there's not, so good luck for your/its future.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 9:46 am   #26
Sparks
Heptode

I hope there's been no significant liquid ingress. Unlikely, given how tight the insulation is around the cores and especially at the grommets at either end. We shall see.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 12:52 pm   #27
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I too remember using foam cleaner on tv cabinets and the awful brown nicotine running off.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 2:26 pm   #28
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes! It used to stain your hands brown. John.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 11:14 am   #29
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

It did John and when you are not a smoker.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 11:42 am   #30
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

cif bathroom foam. contains a small amount of ammonia, its my go to for old smelly kit
Old 9th Jul 2020, 12:55 pm   #31
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Is there anything remaining of this poor cord or has it finally given up all hope? John
Old 9th Jul 2020, 1:36 pm   #32
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I would get hold of a tin of activated charcoal and put in there for a couple of days.

B
Old 9th Jul 2020, 3:18 pm   #33
Sparks
Heptode

I have regular lemon CIF. I didn't know there was a foam variety. I'll be leaving the cord in peace now. It has survived all my cleansing attempts and has come up in slightly better condition than it was so I'll quit while I'm ahead.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 5:15 pm   #34
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
I have regular lemon CIF. I didn't know there was a foam variety. I'll be leaving the cord in peace now. It has survived all my cleansing attempts and has come up in slightly better condition than it was so I'll quit while I'm ahead.
That's an advantage of the activated charcoal; it needn't be in direct contact (just in the same closed container), but as only a few grams of it has a surface area of a football pitch due to its numerous minute pores, it just acts lake a magnet for any volatiles.

B
Old 9th Jul 2020, 5:18 pm   #35

If it is smelly that means the smell is coming out, eventually all the smell will be gone.

Old 9th Jul 2020, 7:14 pm   #36
Sparks
Heptode

Thanks Merlin. That's useful to know.
Closed Thread