UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2021, 3:24 pm   #81
Dekatron
Octode

Default Re: VCM 163 No.1. Problem while calibrating

What happens if you hook the wires from the working 163 to the non-working amplifier inputs, the other way around - does the meter reach the Cal.-position then when driven from the working 163?

What happens if you hook up the outputs to the meter from the non-working amplifier to the meter in the working 163, what does it show then?

What I am looking for is to try to see if the amplifier, the wiring or the meter is to blame for the fault you experience.

If you make a matrix with the amplifier, oscillator and the wiring you should be able to see what combinations that work and not work and by that discern what part isn't working correctly.
Old 16th Nov 2021, 8:28 pm   #82
HBWOODY
Pentode

I understand what you are saying.
When I hook up the wires from the working 163 to the non working amplifier inputs the meter does not move.
I will do what you suggested with the meter tomorrow.
I have recently tested the meter resistance and its FSD as it is a replacement of the original meter.
Old 17th Nov 2021, 10:47 am   #83
HBWOODY
Pentode

When I hook up the outputs to the meter from the non-working amplifier to the meter in the working 163 the needle does not move to the Calibration point.
When I hook up the outputs to the meter from the working amplifier to the meter in the non working 163 the needle moves to the Calibration point.
Old 17th Nov 2021, 12:27 pm   #84
Dekatron
Octode

Where did you connect the wires, directly on the circuit board or with the lugs at the meter?

If at the circuit board you need to check the soldering and the traces and measure the semiconductors as well as the components.

If you used the lugs at the meter you will need to check all above as well as the wiring between the amplifier and the meter too.

You could of course also use an isolated scope, so you don't get ground loops, and check the signal on the amplifier to see if/where it disappears.
Old 17th Nov 2021, 3:42 pm   #85
HBWOODY
Pentode

I connected the wires directly from the circuit board to the terminals on the meters.
At the moment I am checking the components and the continuity on the circuit board.
I do have Mini DSO (DS211) scope but have not cleared how to use it.
Old 18th Nov 2021, 8:32 pm   #86
HBWOODY
Pentode

Well it was a long journey and a successful one. Found the culprit which was one of the diodes on tags 4 and 5 of the amplifier board. I again have learnt so much and the 163 has become much more familiar to me which has enabled me to understand the circuit and see where problems may occur.
Thank you all for your input especially Martin who has persevered with my ignorance where many would have understandably given up.
Will now calibrate the 163 and put it to work testing some valves.
Till the next time.
Good health to you all.
Haydn
Old 18th Nov 2021, 8:46 pm   #87
Dekatron
Octode

I'm glad you found the culprit and that it was possible to fix it easily!

I've heard about a similar case but it didn't result in exactly the same fault so it is good to know about one more type of error and how it manifests itself.

It's also good to know that the amplifier works in itself.
Old 27th Mar 2022, 12:38 pm   #88
Wetubes
Diode

Dekatron - Martin, I understand your are the expert in repairing AVO VCM 163. I have both mA and mA/V analog meters working but not smooth. Do you or you know anyone can service these meters?

Thanks
Old 27th Mar 2022, 1:00 pm   #89
Station X

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Please see this thread concerning Dekatron - Martin:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=189725

Personally I know of no company which services moving coil meters.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Mar 2022, 1:56 pm   #90
Wetubes
Diode

Graham

Thanks for your welcome message and update re Martin.

Martin

I am a new member and like to wish you a speedy recovery.
Closed Thread