UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2020, 6:46 pm   #1
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Default Peto Scott ARG67 Radiogram

When I was around 6 in the mid to late 1970s, my uncle gave me his old Peto Scott radiogram which looked like a Model ARG67:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/petosc...ram_arg67.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWgQfAihO-Q

Early on the original turnover Collaro cartridge was replaced for an Acos GP91-3SC.

The radiogram was kept in the kitchen. I recall that despite smartphones, tablets and computer games etc being non existent back then, my friends would come round and we would be entertained for hours on end listening to records, which included cover versions from MFP, Embassy and The Carpenters!

When my parents moved house in 1980, my dad grudgingly had the radiogram in his spare box room upstairs. A while later, the Collaro Conquest autochanger kept seizing up during the auto cycle. I traced this to a cog wheel with damaged teeth. For a time records were played manually. Eventually, I dropped on a BSR deck made in the early 1970s from a scrapped music centre. Although aesthetically, it didn't look right fitted in the radiogram, I was thrilled to have it all working again.

Later on, the large mains transformer burned out and there was paraffin wax everywhere. I dropped on a similar transformer from a different make of radiogram that was scrapped, with tappings that were slightly different. There were multi voltage tappings on the transformer, including a few 6.3v taps for valve heaters. I was only about 11 at the time and to this day, I think that the transformer could have been used to repair the radiogram. However my dad wanted it out of the way and that was it.

Looking at the picture and the YT video of this model of radiogram in the links above, both show a BSR UA8 autochanger fitted. Mine definitely had a Collaro Conquest, so did Peto Scott dual source autochangers for the same model of radiogram?

Last edited by Fidelity Fan; 5th Jul 2020 at 7:08 pm.
Old 6th Jul 2020, 8:10 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Peto Scott ARG67 Radiogram

They sourced from both BSR and Collaro. Their earlier Radiogram models were one of the first to use BSR's, then new, 3 speed "Monarch" autochanger in 1953.
Old 6th Jul 2020, 8:53 pm   #3
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Default Re: Peto Scott ARG67 Radiogram

Thanks for clarifying that, Edward.
Closed Thread