UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2010, 12:09 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Current consumption?

Hello I have a chassis that uses the following valves UCH21,UBF80,UAF42,UL41.
This is a AC/DC set and I was trying to find out how many watts it would take to power it ,now according to my meter it takes 0.1 amps. Surely this can not be right, the reason I want to know is that it is 220 V max, and the mains voltage here can be 251V which it really does not like at all (only run for a couple of minutes.) I need to buy a transformer and did not want to go to more expense than necessary being as I have to make a cabinet and things to house it in.
I know it's not worth it but just hate throwing things out.
Thanks all.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 15th Feb 2010, 12:13 pm   #2
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Current consumption?

Geoff,
That's more than likely an AC/DC set with a resistive dropper for the HT and heaters. Some added resistance should fix it.
What's in there at the moment?
Alan
Old 15th Feb 2010, 12:20 pm   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

More than likely a European AC/DC set. I'd add 60mA for the HT to your figures Geoff.

Ideally a 187 Ohm 5 Watt dropper section would bring it up to the UKs 250VAC.

Dave
Old 15th Feb 2010, 2:20 pm   #4
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello thank you all, I did try a resistance and it was getting very hot and being a coward and thinking of setting fire to something though I would ask first.
I have found a auto transformer 210V primary to 240V secondary is there any reason not to use it back to front as one might say?
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 15th Feb 2010, 2:42 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Power resistors do run hot when loaded - it's how they dump the energy they're absorbing. If the resistor is adequately rated, you just need to provide ventilation and not touch it. 5W is a bit optimistic though, and 10W would offer more headroom. Some resistors can be bolted to a chassis so that it can act as a heatsink.

You could use an autotransformer as you suggest, but it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Paul
Old 15th Feb 2010, 4:55 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 555 View Post
I have found a auto transformer 210V primary to 240V secondary

Puzzled by this . Auto-transformers only have one winding so you'd have one winding with different taps...no secondary winding. If it is an auto-transformer, there is no reason why you cannot feed 240v across the whole winding and take 210v from the tap. It will act as a step-up or step-down depending on how you use it.

Rich.
Old 15th Feb 2010, 9:52 pm   #7
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hi about the auto transformer I was puzzled as well but it has a plate on it which states that it is an auto and has a primary and secondary, it will take a few days to unearth it but that is how I remember it.
I will use a resistor at the moment just to get it running.Thank you.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 15th Feb 2010, 10:03 pm   #8
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I have a toroidal isolation transformer that is clearly marked 240 in/out but connected one way around it gives 220 out for 240 in and the other way it gives 260 out for 240 in.

Lovely unit but I'm very wary of using it on vintage equipment. Being toroidal I can't see how the makers got the windings wrong.

Dave

Dave
Old 15th Feb 2010, 10:31 pm   #9
jimmc101
Heptode

A small 2 x 15V mains transformer with the secondaries connected in series opposition to the primary will give 220V from a 250V supply.
Since only the secondaries will carry the current to the set, even a small 6VA transformer will handle 0.2A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilley View Post
I have a toroidal isolation transformer that is clearly marked 240 in/out but connected one way around it gives 220 out for 240 in and the other way it gives 260 out for 240 in.

Dave
Were these voltages measured off load?
Remember that the secondary voltage will drop as the transformer is loaded, at full rated load the secondary voltage may drop from 260 to 240.
(8% regulation, a bit high but feasible especially if it's a small one).

Jim

Last edited by jimmc101; 15th Feb 2010 at 10:43 pm. Reason: 'small one' added
Old 16th Feb 2010, 12:26 am   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmc101 View Post
A small 2 x 15V mains transformer with the secondaries connected in series opposition to the primary will give 220V from a 250V supply.
Since only the secondaries will carry the current to the set, even a small 6VA transformer will handle 0.2A.
Ah ha! An elegant engineering solution. Cheap and no significant waste of power either.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th Feb 2010, 8:26 pm   #11
jimmc101
Heptode

I've been thinking a little more about this...
The mains current of an AC/DC set will have a DC component caused by the HT rectifier.
(Say 100mA AC for the heaters plus 50mA DC for the HT.)
This might cause core saturation problems in a small transformer so a more generous rating may be advisable especially with a toroidal transformer.

Does anyone know how close to flux density limits modern transformers run?

Jim
Old 17th Feb 2010, 8:55 pm   #12
Geoff 555
Heptode

Just to say a big thank you to every one it's been sorted by a small 20 VA 12-0 , 12-0 transformer, brings it nicely down to 217V with no problems at all.
The auto transformer mentioned before does have primary and secondary marked on the plate, the actual tappings are N, 240, 230, 220, 210. may be they just used up a spare plate?
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 18th Feb 2010, 2:16 pm   #13
kalee20
Dekatron

Jimmc101 is right to be cautious, this effect can arise and would result in the little transformer running somewhat hotter than you'd expect. But in practice, I'd be confident using a transformer of double the rating.

Luckily, Geoff has been able to do this, and it's working well!
Closed Thread