UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2023, 6:59 pm   #21
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: PVC wiring in old equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Changes to the sense of smell can be caused by covid vaccination, and also by contracting the virus. (I experienced both)

Dave
Dave, I was aware of changes in the sense of smell from coronavirus but didn't know about similar effects from the vaccine. I can't say I noticed any changes in my sense of smell after my vaccines but had an array of other side effects.

I suppose I've always had a keen sense of smell but in recent years old familiar smells which previously seemed good are not welcome these days.

Talking about odours from plastics, some cheap plastic products from China have a horrendous smell and I bet they're probably toxic. Has anyone else noticed this?

Regards,
Symon
Old 2nd Apr 2023, 7:03 pm   #22
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

When I bought my HP counter/timer (5328A - fan cooled) it smelled for all the world of cat urine.

Turned out to be the reservoir capacitors at end of life, venting goo. Replaced them - smelly problem gone.

Craig
Old 2nd Apr 2023, 7:33 pm   #23
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
No sign of the green gunge which often afflicts early (1960s?) PVC house wiring?
Nick, no signs of that in the wiring which otherwise looks in good condition and is still very flexible.

Regards,
Symon
Old 2nd Apr 2023, 7:43 pm   #24
Philips210
Nonode

Good points from emeritus re PVC in enclosed spaces. Also restoration73's mention of the hazard with PTFE is important. Other than the toxic fumes given off when heated, I believe hydroflouric acid can be produced if it is burnt at high temperatures which is nasty.

Thanks also to Lucien for your interesting post.

Regards,
Symon
Old 2nd Apr 2023, 9:42 pm   #25
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Funny old thing, smell. Hyacinths smell like burning plastic to me. My wife cannot have them in the house now as the smell sends me hunting for something overheating.

Peter
Closed Thread