UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2020, 10:18 am   #61
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: Talking Pictures TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
I love watching the re-runs of Budgie with Adam Faith, Iain Cuthbertson and Lynn Dalby, also The gentle Touch and Rumpole of the Bailey.
As you like Budgie’ you may be interested in this video if you have not seen it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yWXBIooTP4
Old 19th Jul 2020, 10:51 am   #62
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
I love watching the re-runs of Budgie with Adam Faith, Iain Cuthbertson and Lynn Dalby, also The gentle Touch and Rumpole of the Bailey.
Yes seeing all those wonderful old character actors again is like seeing old friends again.

Rooms an ex 70s afternoon soap about bedsits, has been astonishingly good for such a cheaply made programme..no issues, or psychopaths changing their personality every episode as per norm today, just dramas about ordinary things and likable characters looking out for each other.

Old 19th Jul 2020, 12:22 pm   #63
clockman
Pentode

I love this channel as they are showing more old films with sub titles and some are very rare.

Re Budgie, directing, acting and sets just like from Crossroads.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 6:09 pm   #64
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes the Leo McKern Rumpole is always a good watch as Michael said. I saw him "live" in 'Waiting For Godo' at the Royal Exhange in Manchester once. He was as "Large As Life" there.
He's the the source of Forum member's use of the term SWMBO no doubt.

I'm not a constant TPTV devotee but I usually check it out. I saw the Terrornauts Sci Fi film [1967] on Saturday, almost literally a tin foil hat job but interesting in the sense that more money was clearly spent on the set than the plot or the acting. I saw a Brenell Studio Recorder in amongst various bit of lab gear. It was an early look at Alien Abductions-now a commonly discussed event. My main reason for viewing was the presence of Charles Hawtrey [from the Carry On Films]. Night of the Prowler [1962] that followed was good. Then the James Mason film [at 6pm] "A Touch of Larceny" [1959] was a surprisingly entertaining tale with some sharp dialogue!

Today, Sunday, rain drove me indoors to the "Uplifting drama" Green Fingers [1947] at 4pm with Robert Beatty [later in 2001 A Space Odyssey my favourite]. He's an Osteopath, not a Gardener in 47.
I missed the Mollie Maguires yesterday Grubhead-it didn't seem to be on either channel. I notice that Film Four is running older items as well. It's all a bit of a cheek but the TPTV Team has a loyal following in place so no worries perhaps.

I would strongly recommend "The Girl With Green Eyes" tonight [10-05 pm 1963]. An excellent take on the Edna O'brien book. Later "This Property Is Condemned" [1966 at 12-05 am] is an unusual vehicle for Robert Redford and Natalie Wood but surprisingly good all the same!].

Dave W

*At the end of the track "Two of Us", on the Beatles last album John Lennon describes them as "Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf Aids".

Last edited by dave walsh; 19th Jul 2020 at 6:36 pm.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 6:11 pm   #65
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Yes the Leo McKern Rumpole is always a good watch. I saw him "live" in Waiting For Godo at the Royal Exhange in Manchester once. Large As Life.

The source of Forum members use of the term SWMBO no doubt.

Dave W
Possibly, but John Mortimer probably got the expression from Rider Haggard's novel "She: A History of Adventure".

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 6:28 pm   #66
dave walsh
Dekatron

I'm sure he did Graham. I wasn't crediting JM with the SWMBO term, excellent writer that he was. I'd never managed to read the stolid "She" but I was once marooned in a flat that took days to clean up in-between going out to work and that was the only book available. Perhaps TPTV will run the film of it as well

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 19th Jul 2020 at 6:38 pm.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 3:26 am   #67
PWH
Heptode

I wish we could get TPTV here. I don't suppose it is streamed? (without geographic restrictions)
Old 21st Jul 2020, 8:33 am   #68
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I can’t find a stream for TPTV, it only lists the UK normal television broadcast channels.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 9:46 am   #69
Panrock
Nonode

I'm now enjoying the regular episodes of 'Robin Hood', with gentlemanly Richard Greene as Robin... straight from mid-1950s television.

Great for us old set owners. Talking Pictures TV is almost too good to be true. Long may it prosper.

Steve
Old 21st Jul 2020, 1:30 pm   #70
dave walsh
Dekatron

I suppose it's not impossible that TPTV could end up being streamed but that would be somewhat against it's own "home grown" [Garden Shed ] ethos in a way. Yes it is on a modern digital terrestrial platform but many people would argue that anything not available on line or accessed via cable, is now 'vintage' in itself. I don't agree with that and I'm very happy with the 'old' broadcast Free View system although we do have an Amazon "stick" for Outlander. I may have to go Free Sat in Rammy though, perhaps using an old Sky [] dish left behind in Ramsbottom by one of my lads, as our [narrow band] 20 Channel Winter Hill relay is unlikely to ever support CH81 and many others. Happily, there's easy access to everything Freeview here on the South Coast, via a traditional aerial

Dave W

Yes indeed Steve "Robin Hood, riding through the Glen" Did they have Glens in Nottingham back then I wonder? "Feared by the bad-Loved by the good!" Overacted but always in a 'good' way. The Norman soldiers are as incompetent as Chief Wiggums in The Simpsons!

Who's the modern equivalent to Robin? Answers on a note tied to an arrow!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 21st Jul 2020 at 1:53 pm.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 3:48 pm   #71
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Happily, there's easy access to everything Freeview here on the South Coast, via a traditional aerial

Dave W
Not in Seaford it isn't for many people. That's why there are a lot of satellite dishes around for Freesat. TP is on there of course.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 4:46 pm   #72
GeoffK
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
I'm now enjoying the regular episodes of 'Robin Hood', with gentlemanly Richard Greene as Robin... straight from mid-1950s television.

Great for us old set owners. Talking Pictures TV is almost too good to be true. Long may it prosper.

Steve
Robin of Sherwood on ITV4 is a bit more gritty, with music by Clannad. Taking Pictures had episodes of Catweazel that was fun to see again.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 11:29 pm   #73
MeerKat
Hexode

Just found this channel after a recent retune and we love it, "Snorkel" was the first film I watched on it, Hammer had a remarkable way of keeping the tension going.

Long may TPTV survive!

Illegitimi non carborundum
Old 22nd Jul 2020, 6:09 pm   #74
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post

Steve
Ah yes, the days of chivalry and the nine o'clock watershed.
Or was it?
https://youtu.be/I-MB20Pl1H4
Old 22nd Jul 2020, 7:20 pm   #75
chris.oates
Triode

They featured on BBC radio 4, the media show today, mentioned that funds were very tight, couldn't afford a streaming service.

Chris
Closed Thread