UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2020, 8:22 pm   #21
Grotsoft
Triode

Default Re: UY41 heater / Murphy U198H Advice Please

I've not been able to try anything else tonight, but I have just noticed that the getter on the old UY41 has turned white since this morning! So it's been gassy.
Old 11th Aug 2020, 9:50 pm   #22
cathoderay57
Nonode

I have several spare UY41 so can supply one Avo VCM tested if you are interested. If so send me a PM. Cheers, Jerry
Old 12th Aug 2020, 11:42 am   #23
Grotsoft
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
I have several spare UY41 so can supply one Avo VCM tested if you are interested. If so send me a PM. Cheers, Jerry
Thanks for the offer Jerry.

My "new" UY41 has a heater current that's rock solid on 100mA, so I'm going to assume it's something physical in the socket for a day or so.

If that doesn't work out I'll contact you about your kind offer.

thanks
Old 12th Aug 2020, 2:06 pm   #24

I would try the new one again, gremlins may have come to visit first time. They do take a while to warm up too.

Old 12th Aug 2020, 8:23 pm   #25
Grotsoft
Triode

I tried the new UY41 again, but this time I used jumper wires rather than the socket - nada.

Kept the heater wired up and used a 1N4007 rather than the valve's diode. Works.

So, my new valve is dead! Time to contact the seller...

Thanks for all your help, at least I didn't replace the UL41 unnecessarily
Old 15th Aug 2020, 7:58 pm   #26
Grotsoft
Triode

Just a quick update.

I think I've tracked down the root cause of this issue while butchering the original UY41 into a solid state version. (I'm going to write up this conversion on my grotsoft.com blog site later.)

One of the pins on the UY41 was at a slight angle in comparison to the others. A very careful inspection of the socket showed that the corresponding pin holder had its tines tightly shut together, unlike the others, and that it was offset from the centre of the pin hole. I've opened up the tines.

I suspect that this was pushing the pin aside everytime the valve was inserted and, because it was in and out a good few times while I was restoring the set, that, as someone suggested right at the start (!) this caused a leak around the pin on the valve base.

I've bought a tested UY41 from the very helpful Cathodray57 and am just waiting on its arrival. In the meantime I can use the radio with my steampunk looking solid state version

Thanks again to all for their assistance.
Closed Thread