UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2022, 8:25 pm   #1
thermion
Tetrode

Default Radiophile

Has anyone heard anything about what’s happening to the Radiophile?
Everyone I’ve spoken to seems as at a loss too. I saw a few old faces at Golborne but nobody seems any the wiser. Shame really, we used to forward to Chas‘s do’s at Wetwood & Gnosall. It was getting too much for them though.
Old 6th Aug 2022, 9:01 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Radiophile

Sadly - and I'll stand corrected - I think the fat lady has sung and it's all over now that dear Chas has passed away. I recall there was some talk of someone taking up the cudgel, but to my knowledge that hasn't happened. I doubt if Chas's wife Jo would be able or even prepared to take it all on. Radiophile was Chas's baby.
Old 7th Aug 2022, 10:40 am   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

One of the BVWS committee members who knew Chas and Jo has tried a couple of times to contact Jo but been unsuccessful. The Radiophile website is mostly closed too.

Any opportunity for events to have continued after Chas passed away would have been scuppered by Covid restrictions.

So as Steve says, sadly but not surprisingly it looks as though Radiophile is no more.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Aug 2022, 12:29 pm   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I do hope that all the archived pdf's of Radio Bygones and Radiophile can be saved, it would be a pity for all that information to be lost.
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 3:19 pm   #5
G6ONEDave
Octode

At the risk of being shot at dawn, would it be possible for this site to host copies of the Radiophile and Radio Bygones? I could do some of the scanning from my own collection of magazines if it would help. I expect that this would be a lot more involved than it appears on the face of it, I just wanted to ask the question.

Dave
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 3:37 pm   #6
Cobaltblue

I could be wrong but I thought Jo still owns the copyright for her own and Chas's work.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 4:35 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
I could be wrong but I thought Jo still owns the copyright for her own and Chas's work.

Cheers

Mike T
Yes, that's inevitably so, and it has commercial value, but quite who would wish to buy it and at what price, (assuming it was for sale), would remain to be seen.

It would have been/still could be, a nice legacy and lasting memory of Chas if it were bequeathed to the World Radio History archive, which is a splendid not for profit resource, and unlike RMORG, there are no hoops to jump through, and no hint of 'givers and takers', but I don't think this is the place to that to be debated. As things are, it seems to me that there is a real likelihood - as with other similar sites, that it will disappear by default, which would be a great shame.

It ought not to be overlooked that much of the content of Radiophile was provided by enthusiasts, including membership of this forum.
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 4:45 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I am pleased to say, I proof read the last copy of Radiophile, it was an honour to help Chas. I do think copyright belongs to the originator, a minefield I understand.

Last edited by HamishBoxer; 23rd Aug 2022 at 5:10 pm.
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 6:33 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Many of the issues are still available for sale as PDFs on the Radiophile website (although I don't know if the whole process is still working). On that basis it would be inappropriate and probably illegal to offer scanned copies for free.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread