UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2022, 5:28 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Newbury rally 2022

I went to this today; there were a few 'interesting' things; several HRO receivers, but all only had the general-coverage coilpacks meaning they were not of interest to me. Prices seemed to be in the £100-£150 region.

There was a 'strange' AR88 - with several additional front-panel controls which looked to have been professionally added, and a S-meter that was calibrated in Roentgens! I didn';t stop to ask the price.

A few rather beaten-up WS19 and R1155 too. Some Pye Westminsters, I was kinda tempted by the one with xtals for 70.26 and 70.45MHz.

In the end I came away with a bag-full of genuine Amphenol BNC-plugs, some SO239-to-BNC-converters, a KW-Match SWR-meter from the early-50s, a Pye 'Tulip' microphone, enough heatshrink-sleeving to see me out, and a 12V-to-HT-converter module that will soon be finding a home inside one of my R209 receivers which has a failed vibrator-transformer.
Old 26th Jun 2022, 7:33 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Newbury rally 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
There was a 'strange' AR88 - with several additional front-panel controls which looked to have been professionally added, and a S-meter that was calibrated in Roentgens!
Haha, I recall seeing a sizeable pile of those post-war "brick" dosimeters with the meter scaled in röntgens for a quid each at a rally long ago and thinking that the meter was just the right size for the AR88's scale mask window, and that it had a period-appropriate pointer with the blob on the end to boot. Someone else obviously thouight the same- maybe it was a subtle warning that that particular AR88 had seen service on the Pacific nuclear test expeditions....

One of the things I like most about rallies in general is those chance finds of arcane parts that one had long given up on ever finding for a project that was shelved long ago, and can now be re-visited- assuming that the rest of it is still in the loft, shed etc.
Old 26th Jun 2022, 10:52 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Newbury rally 2022

It's quite likely that there is radium paint on the pointer and scale of that meter. So, self checking, then, in its original application.

So many AR88 lacked meters that there was a major industry fitting any available meter, upside down if necessary.

David