UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2012, 1:16 pm   #1
Vicboduk
Hexode

Default Michael Bentine - Wireless Memories

On Radio 4 Extra this weekend the third part of; Michael Bentine – The reluctant Jester was aired (BBC iPlayer, 3:00 onwards). This was first aired in 1993 but I had not heard it before. He tells of how he and his father built radio sets, sings the advert for Fluxite paste and the taking delivery of a Dynatron radiogram from the Hacker brothers themselves!

Vic

Last edited by Vicboduk; 25th Jun 2012 at 1:29 pm.
Old 25th Jun 2012, 2:44 pm   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Michael Bentine - Wireless Memories

I will try and have a look for that.

Another electronics wizard of the time was magician David Nixon, he was demonstrating on one of his shows an automatic dialer he had made for his phone - he subsequently got into trouble with the GPO.

Peter
Old 25th Jun 2012, 5:32 pm   #3
Ekcoman
Heptode

I remember visiting Borley Church many, many moons ago. Apparently Bentine was into The Paranormal and used to set his electronic gear up and stay in the church overnight according to the then caretaker. Creepy place even in daylight.
Old 28th Jun 2012, 11:36 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Just checked this out Vic. It's on Iplayer for another 3 days. Well worth it for the story about the Hacker brothers alone!
Dave W
Closed Thread