UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 30th Aug 2020, 7:30 pm   #1801
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Are you sure there isn't just one and that's how it sounds on the two different (which is to say differently painful) systems ?

Cheers,

GJ
Old 30th Aug 2020, 8:10 pm   #1802
Radio Wrangler

I notice the occupants of the cars twitching in time to the thumping, so the pain must be considerable, allowing for the length of exposure and the inevitable desensitisation.

The ones with earbuds don't seem to be in agony, rather they have a blank, glazed expression while they stare at their phone, and, on the university campus where I worked, walk off the edge, into the loch

David
Old 30th Aug 2020, 9:11 pm   #1803
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

There is a weird activity with cars - a competition to generate the highest SPL inside a vehicle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTY4Q2nE63E

Total distortion, no pretense to music. Just 80kW+ of amps feeding a massive array of speakers. These apparently often blow the windscreen out.

Craig
Craig Sawyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2020, 9:14 pm   #1804
TIMTAPE
Octode

Yes cheap earbuds can sound dreadful but good quality ones fitted well can sound very good. Many musicians onstage now use earmoulds as per hearing aids custom made for their ear canals. The isolation is so good they need to have the sound of the audience mixed in with the band's performance.
TIMTAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2020, 9:43 pm   #1805
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Total distortion, no pretense to music.
The sound brings back memories of The Nice Five Bridges and the grinding sound effects made by Keith Emerson by shoving knives in the back of (I think) a Hammond L100..... prog rock got there first!

David
Old 30th Aug 2020, 11:17 pm   #1806
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Indeed. I've had a long love of the five bridges suite since it was commissioned by Newcastle Arts Council to represent the five bridges over the river Tyne. Emerson was only in his mid 20's at the time

Of course after the Nice, Keith Emerson went on to be one third of ELP. This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zurZig4L8 is a splendid recording of them rehearsing Fanfare for The Common Man in a snow bound empty stadium in Canada in 1977.

Alas Carl Palmer is the only one still alive. Greg Lake (bass) died at 69 from cancer in late 2016 and Keith Emerson at 71 committed suicide earlier that year by shooting himself in the head.

Just to bring you all down...

Craig
Old 30th Aug 2020, 11:56 pm   #1807
Cobaltblue

I must admit as a lifelong ELP fan the earliest stuff was IMHO the best.
Lucky man and Knife Edge.

I enjoyed Brain Salad surgery enormously but found Works frankly hard Work.

Works 1 and 2 were the last albums I bought from ELP but of course I borrowed later albums from my friends and I didn't enjoy those nearly as much.

Saw them live twice what talents.

In the 70's I was an Audiophool I spent lots of money on speakers, amplifiers and turntables. The birth of my first son in 1985 as soon as he became mobile it all had to go away. He ripped the stylus out of my V15 with his jumper Once I was back using a cheap and basic system I discovered I had spent more time fiddling with the equipment I had forgotten to enjoy the music.

As I type I am listening to Cream on you tube, live recording on a £20 pair of plantronics headphones it sounds great!

Cheers

Mike T
Cobaltblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2020, 1:33 am   #1808
Radio Wrangler

I made a quip earlier, and in retrospect, I may have stumbled on another definition of an audiophool... Someone who when listening on headphones puts on a pair of spiked shoes.

So if your footwear is normal while you use those plantronics phones, then you're fully recovered, Mike.

David
Old 31st Aug 2020, 8:59 am   #1809
Cobaltblue

No spikes David just socks which to my knowledge have no special audio properties.

Glad to hear I am cured.

Cheers

Mike T
Cobaltblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2020, 12:22 pm   #1810
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
just socks which to my knowledge have no special audio properties.
You're obviously buying the wrong socks, if you wait a while Nick Parks will likely come up with something
AC/HL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2020, 12:37 pm   #1811
Radio Wrangler

This is an openly accessible website, so who knows how many entrepreneurs are trawling it, looking for ideas for their next product? Someone could be stoking up a Chinese megafactory right now, and the socks could be in the hifi shops before Christmas, and on the Sunday market in the new year.

As for the shoes; Ones with fancy metallurgy on the spikes and matt leather for the high-end shops, and cheap knock-offs with too-shiny PVC and a thin gold flash on the spikes (to justify having the word 'Digital' printed on the shoes), for the Sunday market trade.

David
Old 31st Aug 2020, 3:53 pm   #1812
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
... a thin gold flash on the spikes (to justify having the word 'Digital' printed on the shoes) ...
Surely they'd just need to be open-toed ?

Cheers,

GJ
Old 31st Aug 2020, 4:34 pm   #1813
Radio Wrangler

I don't think they'd get that joke on Ingliston Sunday market (as-was) but they did have a simple precedent:

Old fashioned 'analogue' headphones had a shiny silver plated jack plug.

'Digital' headphones had a gold-flashed jack plug. It was the only difference apart from the wording on the box and maybe on the headband.... and a small increase in price.

David
Old 31st Aug 2020, 5:20 pm   #1814
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Someone could be stoking up a Chinese megafactory right now, and the socks could be in the hifi shops before Christmas, and on the Sunday market in the new year.
Not HiFi of course, but Baird started his career making socks!
AC/HL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2020, 6:32 pm   #1815
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Ah - grounded sleeping is already here https://www.groundology.co.uk/earthi...iAAEgLLq_D_BwE

So grounded listener would not be novel - an examiner would judge grounded sleeping to be prior art...

Craig
Old 31st Aug 2020, 6:36 pm   #1816
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Ah - on another page of the same site - grounded socks and shoes https://www.groundology.co.uk/earthi...nding-footwear

Not for handling static sensitive semiconductors, but for some weird well-being reason.

So nothing new under the sun.
Old 1st Sep 2020, 10:16 am   #1817
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
they sound noticeably better the "correct" way round than the "wrong" way.
I would only accept that if a double blind test was done.
I inadvertently did. I discovered the issue after a friend visiting where we spent an evening comparing a few pairs of loudspeakers that we had recently bought. At the end he kindly reconnected my usual speakers for me and I then spent a good few days wondering why the heck my system just didn't sound 'right'.

After lots of fiddling, cleaning, repositioning and general tidying up, I discovered the swap of the speaker cable cores. I changed them back and all was well.
Beobloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2020, 12:45 pm   #1818
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Ah - on another page of the same site - grounded socks and shoes https://www.groundology.co.uk/earthi...nding-footwear

Not for handling static sensitive semiconductors, but for some weird well-being reason.

So nothing new under the sun.
I was thinking of spiked shoes as a derivative of the spiked stands they seem to need for their speakers and each piece of equipment. There is something gloriously smile-inducing in seeing a system with individual stands all on pointy feet for speakers, turntable, CD, DAC, preamp, power amp..... but why not the power generator and the listener?

Are grounded sheets really necessary? If they sleep with their tinfoil hats on, just grounding that with a croc clip on a flying lead ought to be sufficient to keep them happy.

David
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 1:04 pm   #1819
knobtwiddler
Octode

Quote:
I think part of the problem with compressed dynamic range (AKA loudness wars) is the way in which a large swathe of the human race listens to what passes for music. Through ear buds on the underground or other high ambient noise environments ( buses, trains etc), or thought in-car entertainment systems.

Have you noticed that there are only two pieces of music? The car that passes "thump, thump, thump..." and the ear bud listener "tst-ttd tst-ttd tsd-ttd..."

Craig
There is an interview from a few yrs back with Rupert Neve, where he was questioning whether super-pancaked dynamics at high SPLs elicits aggression in society... In the same article he also cites the Oohashi study, where they tried to measure the effect of frequencies about 20KHz on the human brain: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

(NB - much as he is a bona-fide legend, I am not stating that I'm in agreement here)
knobtwiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 4:24 pm   #1820
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

There is another academic study I've read regarding functional MRI and CT scans to test subjects' brain activity when listening to Gamelan music. This has significant output well beyond 20kHz. When the full frequency range was played areas of the brain lit up which did not when band limited (20-20kHz) was played.

It is somewhere on my hard drive; when I find it I'll post it.

Craig