UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2021, 2:22 pm   #21
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Mystery tape recorders

It was also "rim drive" so the treble response improved somewhat as each 21 minute side progressed: the reverse of a phonograph disc where it usually got worse.
Old 27th Jun 2021, 2:50 pm   #22
toshiba tony
Heptode

sounds a bit lo-fi, more of a novelty, but what a machine
Old 27th Jun 2021, 4:30 pm   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I repaired one of these back in the late 1960s. The rewind speed was incredible for the size of the 'roll' of tape. I still remember the fault. It used a couple of Hivac style magnetic reed switches and one of them was O/C. It sounded fantastic! Used mainly in cafe's and eating places generally as background music. J.
Old 27th Jun 2021, 6:00 pm   #24
Courtney Louise
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba tony View Post
During my life I've seen some odd things, but this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want one.
Drop me a pm, I have one I don't have space for.
Old 27th Jun 2021, 9:29 pm   #25
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Well,

back in the 70s when I lend a hand to some repairmen I remember it was not nice to work on these 5001s. Over here they were quite common in bars, pubs, restaurants and running almost 10hrs per day.

So then came they day when you got that cigarette-smoke smelling thing paced on the desk with the comment: "Does not keep track exactly and speed does vary somehow. Get it fixed as soon as possible!" In my eyes all were done to get binned but I never could persuade an owner to part with it.

At ITT Schaub Lorenz they employed some (former Lorenz) brilliant engineers who had designed very sophisticated mil gear.

Regards, Joe
Old 28th Jun 2021, 12:57 pm   #26
Gulliver
Hexode

I've been fascinated by these machines since I first learned of them in the 90s. Not that I am ever likely to have room for one, or permission of the spousal unit....

Maybe there are German members here who can confirm or deny....but I got the impression from the West German teenagers i got to know in the 80s through a school programme were rather more concerned over copyright infringement than we British kids were. They were quite scared off the idea of swapping dubbed cassettes with each other and there was some talk of VHS recordings being wiped after three months. More recently I am told that it is typical of German PVR devices to automatically erase recorded TV shows after three months. Was the "cassette tax" adopted in (West) Germany?

It could be that copyright was a big part of the reason why this unit didn't succeed. Though it was certainly also non-standard and the tape couldn't be swapped.
Old 28th Jun 2021, 1:53 pm   #27
brenellic2000
Octode

Now that certainly does make sense as a 'canned music' machine, but its inability to swap tapes must have made it a non-starter. I guess the unchangeable drum was a consequence of the high precision needed in track alignment (approx 0.7mm track width), made worse by wear in the head jerking up and down!
Closed Thread