UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2021, 1:55 pm   #1
Scott5591
Tetrode

Default JVC VCR PSU problems

Hi,

I’m having problems with JVC 8700ek S-VHS player I recently got.

When plugging in from a cold start up ie being unplugged for 24 hours then plugging it back in all that seems to happen is the fluorescent display flickers and there is a very slight clicking coming from the PSU. Then after about 30 seconds to a minute it’ll power up and work completely fine.

Something is obviously not working correctly until it’s been heated up.

Do you think this could be PSU capacitors on their way out or some other component?

Thought I’d ask on here first for some suggestions as these late VCR’s aren’t very service friendly And isn’t easy to test any components in circuit with having to remove the whole board and loading mechanism
Old 13th May 2021, 4:38 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: JVC VCR PSU problems

I would start by checking all the electrolytics in the primary and secondary side of the power supply with an ESR meter. Also look for dry or cracked solder joints. A wise man once said, the reliability of any electronic device is inversely proportional to the number of electrolytic capacitors it contains.

Fivos
Old 13th May 2021, 5:06 pm   #3
agardiner
Octode

Agreed. In fact I personally would just change all the electrolytics in the power supply.
Old 13th May 2021, 6:17 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Certainly suspect secondary side caps on power supply.
Old 13th May 2021, 6:27 pm   #5
Scott5591
Tetrode

I’ve currently just been leaving it plugged in on standby.

Not sure how hard it’ll be trying to get the whole thing removed from the chassis.

I’ll check them with my ESR meter

Capacitors look to be made by Samsung.
Old 13th May 2021, 6:55 pm   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

Probably Sam but not Sung. Maybe Young or Wha. Those do tend to fail over time.
Old 14th May 2021, 7:20 am   #7
FIXITNOW
Octode

C1502 27u 35v in psu primary was always the main one to go use a 33uf its next to the chopper transformer
Old 14th May 2021, 2:43 pm   #8
Scott5591
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXITNOW View Post
C1502 27u 35v in psu primary was always the main one to go use a 33uf its next to the chopper transformer
Noted.

It’s annoying that there doesn’t seem to be any sort of service manuals for these last of the line JVC’s

I’m guessing JVC obviously thought they would be scrapped in favour of a DVD player long before they ever started to need maintenance.

Does feel quite cheap compared to earlier players, however it plays most tapes very well.

Although I do find TBC can make some tapes look worse which I found quite disappointing
Old 14th May 2021, 6:24 pm   #9
hillsrob
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5591 View Post
Hi,

I’m having problems with JVC 8700ek S-VHS player I recently got.

When plugging in from a cold start up ie being unplugged for 24 hours then plugging it back in all that seems to happen is the fluorescent display flickers and there is a very slight clicking coming from the PSU. Then after about 30 seconds to a minute it’ll power up and work completely fine.

Something is obviously not working correctly until it’s been heated up.

Do you think this could be PSU capacitors on their way out or some other component?

Thought I’d ask on here first for some suggestions as these late VCR’s aren’t very service friendly And isn’t easy to test any components in circuit with having to remove the whole board and loading mechanism
Not in any way a related model but I have an ITT Nokia S-VHS machine from the early 1990s which was left unused for a long time. It then exhibited this flickering of the fluorescent display and not much else until it had been left on for a while. It turned out to be a rechargeable button cell used for preserving some memory settings. Leaving it on for a while charged the cell enough for the machine to spring into life. If left for a week or so it would revert to the flickering display again. I'm guessing that the discharged cell put a load on a supply rail needed for other functions.
Old 14th May 2021, 7:27 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

When you replace the electrolytics, make sure you use Low ESR types 105 degree. Using cheaper 85 degree types will end in tears or at very least a power supply that won't work at all. Switch mode supplies such as this are very critical of capacitor types. Fitting the wrong type can cause damage to semiconductor devices....
Old 15th May 2021, 11:53 am   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

To add to this, I'd suggest Panasonic 105 degree or similar by, for example, Vishay or Rubycon. Steer clear of anything with an X in the name or something that sounds vaguely Chinese. Also I have had bad experiences with Multicomp, also marketed as RS Pro.
Old 15th May 2021, 1:32 pm   #12
Scott5591
Tetrode

I usually use 105c Panasonic capacitors or Chemicon.

I’ve noticed a lot of Nichicon’s tend to be undervalued when it comes to the UF capacitance whereas the Panasonic’s always tend to be a few UF’s over on my meter.
Closed Thread