UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2021, 5:42 pm   #1
Timbucus
Octode

Default Tech Time Traveler does the MK14 - well

Great new video if you love the MK14...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8n474FfH2Y
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 10:12 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Tech Time Traveler does the MK14 - well

Yes, probably the most comprehensive walkthrough for the MK14 on Youtube. I recognise the machine which belongs to 'falter' over on the VCFED forums, so presumably TTT and falter are one and the same person.
Old 9th Dec 2021, 10:03 pm   #3
Slothie
Octode

Was an interesting video. Nice original MK14 with a interesting "back story".
Old 16th Dec 2021, 10:41 am   #4
Michael Haardt
Tetrode

Thanks for the pointer, that was an interesting video, especially because I was not familiar with the MK14 at all. I never knew there was a manual and just downloaded it. After having built the SC/MP CPU card for the modular NDR Klein Computer system, which already runs Kitbug and NIBL, I am currently looking into adapting the HEXIO card from the Elektor SC/MP system for that as well to run Elbug. Unlike the MK14, the Elektor system had a discrete hardware display and keypad controller and did not rely on software multiplexing.

Michael
Old 16th Dec 2021, 10:57 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Just before I received my MK14, I had access to a friend's Elektor SC/MP system - but only the first, very basic system with binary input and output via switches and LEDs.

Unfortunately he never took his system to the next stage, but I know the Elektor system eventually evolved into something quite mature and usable.
Old 16th Dec 2021, 1:47 pm   #6
Michael Haardt
Tetrode

I built exactly that basic system 40 years ago, but with a Z80 CPU, because I could not get a SC/MP.

The Elektor system did grow a lot, but never had any serious software, probably because the SC/MP is so slow and so hard to program. You did not miss anything. I was surprised how hard the boot ROM was to write.

I built the SC/MP CPU card, because with just a single card I got a whole system thanks to the modularity of the system. Too bad the Elektor system was not that modular. S100 and ECB systems were popular for a long time thanks to their modularity. The NDR Klein Computer is basically a ECB system with different, cheaper connectors and a cheaper backplane.

Michael
Old 16th Dec 2021, 7:50 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

If you have any interest in the MK14 (and nothing to do for the rest of your life) try searching for the many MK14 related threads in this section. Although most are now closed, they contain a wealth of posted information and links which would take a very long time to work your way through.

Even the MK14's greatest fans would not try to claim it was a great 'computer' but for the British, in common with the later machines also sold by Clive Sinclair, it was an affordable programmable system which was often the starting point for a lifelong interest in - and often a career in - computing.

Without the lowly, basic MK14 we probably would not have had its descendants the ZX80, ZX81, and Spectrum, all of which placed a computing tool into the hands of many people who probably could not have afforded one otherwise.
Old 17th Dec 2021, 1:56 am   #8
Buzby123
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Without the lowly, basic MK14 we probably would not have had its descendants the ZX80, ZX81, and Spectrum, all of which placed a computing tool into the hands of many people who probably could not have afforded one otherwise.
Further more, I still think we would not have had ARM if not for Sinclair.
Old 17th Dec 2021, 11:07 am   #9
Michael Haardt
Tetrode

What's the relationship between Sinclair and Acorn, other than both being British companies?

I have no particular interest in the MK14 hardware, but some more software to play with is always nice.

Michael
Old 17th Dec 2021, 11:18 am   #10
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Chris Curry, who worked for Sinclair when the MK14 was their current 'computer product', eventually left to form Acorn. Acorn went on to win the educational computer contract which Clive Sinclair had hoped to win with his more affordable machines, although to be honest the better machine won as the BBC model B, although more expensive, was much more robust and better suited to this purpose.

The story is told in the British TV drama 'Micro Men' which I think you might be able to find on video sharing sites. It's a good watch for anyone interested in that period of British computing history.
Old 17th Dec 2021, 12:11 pm   #11
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Here, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBxV6-zamM
Old 17th Dec 2021, 2:56 pm   #12
Michael Haardt
Tetrode

Thanks for pointing me to that, quite fascinating!

Michael
Old 19th Dec 2021, 10:11 pm   #13
NealCrook
Tetrode

>>Without the lowly, basic MK14 we probably would not have had its descendants the ZX80, ZX81, and Spectrum, all of which placed a computing tool into the hands of many people who probably could not have afforded one otherwise

Agreed. And I can go back in time one further step.. I learned to program on a Sinclair Enterprise Scientific (Programmable) calculator. Only Sinclair could produce a calculator that had no non-volatile storage! It chomped through (expensive) PP3 batteries but at least it came with a mains power adaptor

Neal
Old 25th Dec 2021, 9:00 am   #14
stuarth
Heptode

Not just Sinclair. Early HP pocket calculators had no non-volatile storage either.

I still have a HP 25, a programmable calculator from HP’s second generation of pocket calculators which has no non-volatile storage, not even for user entered programmes.

The upgraded HP 25C has “Continuous Memory”.
Old 25th Dec 2021, 9:10 am   #15
stuarth
Heptode

Not just Sinclair. Early HP pocket calculators had no non-volatile storage either.

I still have a HP 25, a programmable calculator from HP’s second generation of pocket calculators which has no non-volatile storage, not even for user entered programmes.

The upgraded HP 25C has “Continuous Memory”.
Closed Thread