UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2021, 11:00 pm   #1
radiolot
Tetrode

Default Lots of radios coming up in Yorkshire auction

Hiya everyone,

To give you all a heads up on an auction on the 29th September at Tennants in North Yorkshire, which will include the first part of a large collection. So large in fact that the second part will be coming up late this/early next year.
There are some nice sets including an AD36, AC97 Robot, most of the Philips Arbolite series sets, a Phlico V537, an Ekco Willow Tree, pre-superhet sets, many multi-set lots, an Altas corner-column, lots of valves including an output valve lot with PX4, some parts - a good 60-odd lot sale to begin with.
It will be online from around the middle of September and if you want the old fashioned (ie proper) paperback catalogue, speak to Tennants.
Once it is online, I'll post the link here.
It's about time we had a good social meet again after all this lockdown business - I know we all now miss things we used to take for granted.
Have fun, very best,
Laurence

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 21st Aug 2021 at 11:18 am. Reason: corrrected Philco model No as per OP post
Old 15th Sep 2021, 1:41 pm   #2
radiolot
Tetrode

Default Re: Lots of radios coming up in Yorkshire auction

This auction has just gone online.
Important - Tennants are still photographing, editing and sorting out the pictures for the multi-lots for the sale, so until that is all finalised this time next week, rely on the text rather than just the pictures at this early stage. Please bare with them on this.
This is the link - the radios start at lot 3081 and end at 3142: https://bid.tennants.co.uk/m/view-au...ems=200&page=1
Old 15th Sep 2021, 3:12 pm   #3
Kentode
Octode

Thanks Laurence, this is near enough to be tempting!

BVWS member
Old 15th Sep 2021, 5:21 pm   #4
radiolot
Tetrode

I am reminded of a super saying one of my musical box collectors said to me years ago when one of my SK catalogues came out - "you are getting my want-to-need-convertor excited". Priceless. It's a mixed bag this sale, but then the best fluff is sometimes found in the bottom of those bags...and the worst come to think of it. I won't tell you which radio I've hidden 10 PX4's in the back of. You'll have to find out.

I am of course joking.
Old 15th Sep 2021, 8:47 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Laurence, is an account required to view the catalogue or can it be directly viewed?

Ed
Old 15th Sep 2021, 8:56 pm   #6
radiolot
Tetrode

Nope, anyone can view the catalogue, just placing a bid online needs a client account. If the link doesn't work, it means they've done some work on it and it needs refreshing. The link is from their website.
Or try hitting your computer with a hammer. Mine works wonders after a threatening glare and 'Croydon Handshake'.
Old 15th Sep 2021, 9:32 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Thanks Laurence, I thought I'd been on their site previously without logons etc

Ed
Old 15th Sep 2021, 9:55 pm   #8
Gabe001
Octode

The willow tree set is nostalgic for me, my grandad had one.

There's a small error (I presume) in lot 3122 which contains pictures of the Marconis from 3123 but no reference to them in the text, do I think this is a mistake.

Most sets are exquisite cosmetic condition, and have a description written by someone who knows what they're talking about (eg reference to the missing px4 in the Marconi, the Murphy anecdote), presumably yourself judging by your occupation and interest, but no mention of whether they've been restored electrically (except on occasion). Are you not privy to this information, or are you refraining intentionally for legal reasons?

Finally, am I correct in assuming that this is a timed auction and not a live auction.

A truly impressive lot, most of the radios look really well cared for. Even the taste in music is good. I think you can tell that I'm impressed.

Gabriel
Old 15th Sep 2021, 10:32 pm   #9
radiolot
Tetrode

Kind words Gabriel, thank you.

I've always kept a finger in someone's pie when it comes to a house still doing mech mus to include all the sub-subjects - Kegan and I used to work together at Philips Auctioneers in the mid 1990s and have always catted the odd set, but that is now growing there to larger sales.

Frankly, I want to see more houses all over the country do sales for this sector, like it used to be. It matters not who, what, how or indeed why houses do them, but do them they must so that our interest continues to be seen and kept alive. And no best-gear gets overlooked and under-valued.

To cover your points - they are still working on the pictures. 3122 is a wrong picture but right text. There are few others, so please use the text not the pictures as I mentioned. All will be sorted by the team there this week.
Regarding 'eff and safety' - I was always told to cut off the plugs. I often 'forgot'.... So you might find the odd (all) plug(s) still connected. Common sense dear people, common sense. HA HA, common sense in 2021!

This is a live auction. Attend in person, bid live online via the site, arrange a phone bid, leave an absentee bid, fly your beloved Speckled Jim with a note around his neck, or do what I once - and yes, I did once receive it from a now-late dearly remembered BVWS member - send a fax in morse code leaving your bid. Poor ladies on the bids desk came down to my office with a face like a slapped salmon's bottom and didn't understand the joke.
Probably best to use the usual channels me thinks.

Not that I'm in any way instigating a pressured illustration as a tool to seek a obligatory participation in the sale. Perish the thought.
Old 15th Sep 2021, 11:12 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

I'm still enjoying the pun in the thread title...

Not seen anything to make me drive down to Leyburn, though. I've got enough to be going on with. But thanks for posting the links.

David
Old 16th Sep 2021, 1:08 am   #11
Techman
Dekatron

Wonderful items in that sale list - and not just the radios!

There is the odd mistake such as Gerrard instead of Garrard regarding the 401 turntable.

I recognise a lot of that scientific equipment as likely being saved from a skip when a school science physics and biology lab was closed down or refurbished. I've certainly handled and used a lot of that gear in the very distant past. It's all totally obsolete as regards modern teaching now, but make good display items - it could also have come from a college or university. The difference in the pricing of the miners lamps I find surprising. I've got one very similar to one estimated in a four figure sum - I would have said that mine was probably worth a tenner, so perhaps I'm out of touch with such things, although others are estimated in lots and of a lot less value...interesting!
Old 16th Sep 2021, 6:23 pm   #12
radiolot
Tetrode

If you look at a Rolls Royce long enough, you'll find mistakes. I have to write in a few so you know it's a human doing it, not a robot. I had only 8 hours to sort, write and lot this gear and as a 110wpm touch-typer, there will be thr odf tpyo. Plus, by finding them, we know everyone is paying attention - good to know, keep it up
Old 28th Sep 2021, 4:50 pm   #13
radiolot
Tetrode

This sale is tomorrow from 10.30am, live and online auction, not just remote only (if you have enough petrol of course). Just a reminder that the round Ekco is resprayed brown and there once damage. It has however been superbly repaired by a clever soul. Full marks. All pictures etc now appear to be correct with no gaps: https://auctions.tennants.co.uk/auct...ools/?au=13884
(from lot 3081 onwards)

I have been asked about the next sale already - it will be about Jan/Feb and will be at least the same quantity again, if not more.

"No dear, I've have this set for ages....."
"oh yeah?, then why is the car boot open then??"
Get your excuses clear and ready folks.
Old 30th Sep 2021, 8:24 pm   #14
radiolot
Tetrode

My public thanks to Kegan Harrison for allowing me to be let loose, to Theo Eastman who room-managed the sale, the large team at Tennants for getting everything ready and for the post-auction hard work and to all those who took part as registrants, underbidders and buyers.
A big thank you on behalf of the family of the estate most of these came from. A collector who is sadly missed but who had an excellent eye for detail, chance and choice.
Results as per the link on just-last post.
Closed Thread