UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2021, 10:55 pm   #1
DianeDavies
Tetrode

Default Amstrad PCW owner needed

Hi, long story but basically I have dozens of floppies my Dad wrote onto when he was alive but the PCW was ditched! I have no way of reading the files to see if there's anything important on them and his labelling is basically sketchy at best. Anyone in Nottinghamshire with a machine and time who could skim them to see if there's significant records on them? He was supposed to be writing a history of his ancestors, and we haven't found a hard copy.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 11:41 am   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Amstrad PCW owner needed

Hello Diane, PCW discs look physically similar to PC 3.5" discs so it may be possible to read them using a PC (with a floppy disc drive) and suitable software, perhaps even a PCW emulator running on the PC.

I would be amazed if we don't have a PCW owner here so keep checking back in.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 11:47 am   #3
Timbucus
Octode

They are actually 3" disks, it ran CPM so the file format is fairly standard but, it does need that drive type. The critical part will be they were likely written in the custom wordprocessor on it so will need conversion. I have a CPC664 which can likely read the format although not sure how to get the files off of it - I think I have a serial card somewhere. Anyway we have some options if nobody still has a PCW.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 12:03 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Sorry, even the briefest of online searches for PCW discs throws up images of PCW software on what look like 3.5" discs, but 3" does stir memories, especially when that format was also adopted for the Spectrum +3. Maybe Diane could clarify, if possible, what type of discs it is she has (or just take a photo of one and add it to a post here).
Old 15th Aug 2021, 12:29 pm   #5
Timbucus
Octode

Good point it was possible to retrofit a 3.5" drive I think
Old 15th Aug 2021, 12:42 pm   #6
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Original PCW used 3” CF2 disks. As mentioned above you can fit a 3.5” drive and later models came with 3.5” as standard.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 12:48 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Just noticed that ideally, Diane is looking for someone local who can do this for her, so that may narrow the field a bit.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 1:29 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

I am not local but I do still have a PCW 8256that was working when I last used it some three years ago. Currently in store in the shed. Twin 3" internals and an external 3 1/2" drive that can export files in DOS. I only have Locoscript 1 installed, which has the option of saving files in .TXT format.

Last edited by emeritus; 15th Aug 2021 at 1:38 pm.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 1:57 pm   #9
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Original PCW used 3” CF2 disks. As mentioned above you can fit a 3.5” drive and later models came with 3.5” as standard.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 2:23 pm   #10
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Again, I'm not close.

I still have my PCW 8256 (with additions) next to me, and it's fully operational, but it has the CF2 3" disk drive (A:, single sided.). I've got 3.5" and 5.25" drive as well, and can easily transfer files to PC and thence to USB stick or whatever. Got Loco 1 and 2. If I got the disks, could return a copy of the files by email, I've done this before for another on this forum.

The only complication wiuld be if your machine had used the B: drive with the CF2DD disks, which I cannot handle. Need to check further if the disks have been used single sided or double sided?

Geoff
Old 15th Aug 2021, 2:38 pm   #11
electronicskip
Nonode

My Sinclair+3 has a 3inch drive im sure but yet again im too far away to help.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 2:44 pm   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

I had a PCW9512, it was a very useful word processor for the times. And yes, 3" floppys.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 8:16 pm   #13
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Further to my earlier message, I've done a check.

There used to be a couple of places that offered the sort of (commercial) service you need, but now there seems to be just one.

This is Apex Technology at Sandbach (CW11 2ND)(01785 336300)

They are nearer to you that I am.

They would charge you so much per disk, and I'm not sure that they could offer to investigate the disks first, and pick and choose files.

On the plus side, they could probably do both formats, so it would not matter if it was an A: disk, or a B: one.

I could do any A: disks, but not any B: ones. So I would need to try to work out which your disks are. If there are as many as you say, there is a probability that many are A: disks. Any markings on the disks could also help as to which sort they are. For example, if it's an A: disk, then both sides may have something written, if it's a B: disk then one side only. If I try to read a B: disk in my A: drive, then BOTH sides will give a disk error, but the data that may be there is NOT damaged.

I would be happy to try a handful, to see what sort of thing is there, and confirm how things might proceed.

Geoff
Old 15th Aug 2021, 8:35 pm   #14
KeithsTV
Nonode

I got rid of my PCW many years ago but it had, from memory, Locolink which allowed you to connect it to a PC to transfer files between the two. I have all the files from my PCW saved on my PC but to get the PC to be able to read them I had to convert them to text on the PCW before transferring them.

I did at one point transfer a number of files from PCW discs to text files in PC format for a friend. It took a little time to do but overall it was a fairly simple process.

Keith
Old 15th Aug 2021, 8:53 pm   #15
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Yes, LocoLink was available, I think I have a copy somewhere, but not installed. I assume that this needs the PCW8256 SIO/Pll interface box.

I have the interface somewhere, but the connectio is now used for connection to a set of 8 Mb virtual HDs.

In any case, I've always used the 5.25" PCW disks, copied files to that, then accessed that disk on the PC and moved data back and forth that way. Much less trouble in the long run. I could do the same with 3.5" disks as well. The only catch is that I need to keep an old PC operating that has both floppy disks drives working, and a main PC with at least 1 floppy drive (along with newer web access and USB facilities). These last things are more of a problem than keeping the PCW working!!

Geoff
Old 15th Aug 2021, 9:47 pm   #16
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Also, what operating system do you need on the PC end of the Locolink? I suspect it would need to be pre-XP. Certainly LocoScript PC ceased to work when I upgraded to XP.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 11:38 pm   #17
KeithsTV
Nonode

I'm sure i used win95 on the PC when I transferred the discs.

Keith
Old 16th Aug 2021, 12:16 am   #18
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Bearing in mind that Diane is not seeking detailed advice on how to do this herself, rather someone local who can do it for her, I think in the first instance we need to find out what type of discs it is that she needs the data taken off. Diane, if you know whether your discs are 3.5" types or 3" types please let us know. If you don't know, take a photo of one of them and attach it to a post here. We expect that they would all be one type or the other but if there happen to be a mixture of both types, we need to know that as well.

Once we know the type of discs involved we can offer more specific help, or Diane can follow up Geoff's lead to a potential service provider in post #13.
Old 16th Aug 2021, 8:26 am   #19
Dave Moll
Dekatron

To aid identification, here are a 3½" disc (left) and a 3" one (right):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floppy discs.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	239483  
Old 17th Aug 2021, 7:31 am   #20
Simondm
Pentode

The original PCW used 3" disks (NOT 3.5"). It was frustrating at the time (the BBC bought PCWs by the hundreds as the first office word processors), and a nuisance to move data to real PCs. As already mentioned, the OS was CP/M, and the format should be readable.

I am desperately trying to remember, but I think the disk capacity is similar to 5.25" floppies, rather than 3.5". I think the drives themselves also look like 5.25" (low density) to the OS.

At the time the rumour was that the format was a commercial mistake, and the Japanese manufacturer (Toshiba?) was stuck with a lot of unsold units, so the entrepreneurial Mr. Sugar stepped-in and did a deal.

Thinking about getting a working unit to read your disks, one other place they were used in quantity was the music industry, specifically as program/configuration storage for synthesizers (keyboards). You might find a drive in that world. I suspect it will be pricey, but a drive from a synth will probably have had far less use than one from a wordprocessor, so the heads might be in better condition.

I'm pretty certain* that, even if the data connector is the same, they won't just work if connected to a PC 3.5" data cable. You'll need a different ribbon arrangement so they can "look" like a 5.25" drive. Ignore the infamous IBM "twist" in the ribbon - that only matters when using dual 5.25" disk drives on a single controller, but otherwise it's the same.

One good thing though: the 3" format was pretty robust in comparison to the other floppy formats of the time. That's one reason why they were put into synths (musicians being notorious destroyers of technology, etc.). Unless they have been damaged in some way, the data are probably readable.

I do remember there was a bundle of thick ring-bound manuals provided with those PCW machines, although most of it covered Locoscript (the WP software provided), as they were never intended to be general purpose computers, so CP/M didn't feature much.

The IBM-PC compatible Amstrads had a good set of manuals provided, so there might be information about the disk drives avaialble if you can track the PCW manuals down. It was a different world back then: the technical reference manual for my Apricot actually includes motherboard circuit diagrams! CP/M is far simpler than even early DOS, by the way.

Hope some of that helps,

S.

*not very certain - it was a long time ago.
Closed Thread