UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Nov 2021, 12:47 pm   #1
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.
Default Dan 486 desktop

Hello, I have a problem with a 486 desk top. When I switch it on I get a No Video Input but when I press the reset several times it displays garbage on the screen then it boots up and works fine. Would anyone have any ideas as to what may be happening? I use this machine to program old ex pmr radios on to amateur radio bands.
Old 4th Nov 2021, 1:50 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Dan 486 desktop

If memory serves me correctly you used to have another DOS-era PC which you used for this job but you started to have comms errors on that one, and this one must be its replacement.

If you still have the other one the first thing I would try is to swap the PSU from the other machine into this one, assuming they both use 'AT' type interchangeable power supplies with the same connectors.

If not, try

-Turning the PC on
-Press reset as many times as it takes to get it to start
-Leave it running for at least an hour
-Turn it off for 30 seconds
-Turn it back on.

When you do that, does it start by itself, or do you still have to use the reset button to get it to start?
Old 5th Nov 2021, 4:19 pm   #3
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Thanks SiriusHardware, you hit the jackpot, I replaced the power supply and my PC is back to normal. I was fortuneate in that I had two supplies in the garage, one was a dud but the other one worked fine.

Dave
Old 5th Nov 2021, 7:45 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Glad that worked out for you. Lucky you had those spares as it might be quite hard to find an AT PSU now.
Old 6th Nov 2021, 5:49 pm   #5
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Yes I had a look inside the one I took out and found it was filthy so I think something was perhaps messing up the chopping frequency. I will try a few tests with it after I get an air duster to remove the muck.
Closed Thread