UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2012, 6:54 pm   #1
Philips210
Nonode

Default Ideas for a Solder Fume Extraction Unit

Hi.

For some time now I have been hankering on building a soldering fume extractor for my workshop since becoming more sensitised to the flux fumes.

Looking at commercially available units, there seems to be a few on the market that are either self contained having carbon filters or an exhaust version to the outside.

I have had a look on the internet at various homebrew units some more complicated than others but have given me a few ideas.

The type of extractor that I'm contemplating would have an exhaust hose directing the fumes outside. The extractor would need a reasonable size cowelling over the work to help draw up the fumes. The cowelling then connects to a flexible hose (say 4" in diameter) and then to a suitable fan and then through the wall to an outside shuttered/louvred vent.

Has anyone here built something similar that is successful?

What I will need to establish is the fan size and type regards flow rate.
Also, the position of the fan, I wonder where is the best place to locate it.
The cowelling approximate shape and dimensions will also need to be worked out.

Another potential thing, the unit could be affected on windy days ie blowing back the fumes if the flow rate is insufficient. So may be incorporating a filter as well as the exhaust may be a good idea.

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

Regards
Symon

Last edited by Philips210; 3rd Feb 2012 at 7:08 pm. Reason: typo
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 7:53 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Ideas for a Solder Fume Extraction Unit

Hi,
I built one about a year and a half ago from scratch!! It was reasonably successfull, it sucked fumes to the other end of a small pipe at least! I made the fan itself, from stiff cardboard, it was of the centrifugal type, the thing that let it down most was the motor, I only had an old 12v tape player motor, it burnt out several times! The fan blades were about 5" diameter, with a more powerfull motor it would have worked quite well. This was all done at my old job, where we were close to shutting down, and had very little to do, so I had plenty of time to kill.
Unfortunately I left it behind when the place closed, so its probably been skipped by now! If I was to build another, I'd use the same type of fan as it worked well even on low speeds, but i'd use a bigger motor, maybe a mains powered one. I don't think I took any pictures, but I'll have a look.

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 7:58 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Cheap centrifugal fan. As bathroom extractors these are lot more effective than the ordinary axial ones, especially if you've got a long duct.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-ce...room-fan/13201
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 8:01 pm   #4
Vicboduk
Hexode

A bit more expensive, have you considered modifying a cooker hood kit? adding extra hose etc.
Some have lights fitted - A bonus, you'll be able to see what you're doing!

Vic
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 8:05 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I did a DIY chemical fume-cupboard a few years ago, but suspect that would be way overkill for you. The key factor in accomplishing that was finding an extremely helpful local supplier of heating and ventilation fans and ducting who walked me round her stockroom and we picked up bits that "looked right" as they came in to view. You can get corrugated aluminium ducting which is quite durable but which be can be cut with a pair of scissors and bent in to shape with no effort or skill.

Depending on how sensitised you have become, I would have thought that a charcoal filter might well be adequate; you can buy quite large pieces of foam with a charcoal filter which are intended for cooker hobs which are quite cheap.

As soon as you start putting ducting outside you have consider lots of stuff including the possibility that it will attract unwanted attention, either from people, or smaller creatures looking for a home!
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 8:49 pm   #6
geoff_n
Retired Dormant Member

The power supply fan out of an old computer might do it.
regards Geoff
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 8:51 pm   #7
Philips210
Nonode

Thanks chaps for all your ideas.

Jeffrey's bathroom extractor fan coupled to a flexible hose and a movable cowelling is something that I'll try out first.
I will let you know how I get on.

Regards
Symon.
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 9:19 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

Even the ones with a 120mm equipment fan and charcoal filter are pretty good. When I was a trainee we had these boxes from Farnell or RS which were just a 120mm fan with filter clipped to the front and they stood on their edge at the back of the workbench. They pulled almost all the fumes through and the filter just needed banging clean outside every few weeks. And that was on a production floor where heavy soldering was done from 8am to 6pm monday to saturday.

(this type of thing, except it was British made)

http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/d0037...top/dp/1391652
Old 6th Feb 2012, 12:10 am   #9
Philips210
Nonode

Kevin, I understand that these work very well and have the great advantage of being truly portable. The only thing I would be concerned about is knowing when to clean or change the filter. I would probably forget to change the filter over a period of time that is why I am interested in building a version with an exhaust which is more or less maintenance free.

I had an idea of modifying a large Anglepoise type bench lamp for the fume collection cowel. This can be moved over the work as required. Also, a low voltage lamp could also be incorporated in the housing.

Symon

Last edited by Philips210; 6th Feb 2012 at 12:28 am. Reason: spelling correction
Old 6th Feb 2012, 1:47 am   #10
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,

You might find it a lot easier with an in-line fan http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-in...-fan-kit/15061 as you can connect pipe to both ends.

To stop blow back you can get a flap valve to fit on the outside wall. http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-ex...xing-kit/11784

Yours, Richard
Old 6th Feb 2012, 11:59 am   #11
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Richard.

You hit the nail right on the head there.
That's just what I ordered only mine came from Toolstation. In fact it arrived about half an hour ago.

The outdoor flap is certainly a good idea. That should also help to keep out insects as well.
Thanks for your reply.

Regards
Symon.
Old 10th Feb 2012, 1:46 am   #12
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Just a little idea Symon. I have a temp controlled iron with a home made fume extractor fan that vents outside. I have a foot operated pedal to control the mains power to the soldering iron. It works very well. To prevent the extractor fan from running continuously I wired it up to the power from the pedal control with a timer so that the fan will run for about 30 seconds after I release the pedal. My reasons are, my workshop is air conditioned. Heat in winter, cool in summer and do not want to loose it. I found it annoying with fan on all the time, noise, and my human nature told me to switch it off all the time which defeated the purpose of it.
Just a little add to your ideas.
Robert.
Old 10th Feb 2012, 11:34 am   #13
richrussell
Heptode

I use a square of the anti-static foam ics are often supplied in, held onto the back of an old CPU fan, powered by a PP3 battery. I just stand it a couple of inches away from where I'm soldering and it nicely sucks the smoke away, capturing the particles in the foam. I rinse the foam out every now and again, when it stops sucking as well.

Not the best solution, but it cost me nothing
Old 10th Feb 2012, 11:51 am   #14
Denis G4DWC
Pentode

I built my Fume extractor unit some years by mounting a Couple of 120mm Mains Fans into a shallow alloy chassis/box with two 120mm holes front and rear. I bought the filters from CPC:-

http://cpc.farnell.com/xytronic/76-3...merch=Products From This Range

I sandwiched these filters, in the front of the box, between a couple of Fan guards (two for each filter), similar to these, that were in the junk box:-

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/cfg...merch=Products From This Range

I also fitted two additional Fan guards to the rear along with the fans.

It works very well and really is amazing to see the crud that builds up on the filters that you would otherwise be breathing after a lengthy soldering session.

Denis
Old 10th Feb 2012, 11:20 pm   #15
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Robert.

That's a good idea having timed control of the fan so ensuring that all residue smoke is removed. I will be including a timer on my extraction unit.
The only thing to locate will be a suitable foot switch. I was thinking of modifying an old sewing machine foot control for this.

Besides the exhaust version that I'm building, it would also be useful to build a portable filtered extractor.

Thanks also to Denis and Rich for their ideas.

Regards
Symon.
Old 12th Feb 2012, 2:07 am   #16
dim-bulb
Retired Dormant Member

Some ideas on fans from the Instructables site.....

Instructables
Old 18th Feb 2012, 8:31 pm   #17
keithg0skj
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Ideas for a Solder Fume Extraction Unit

Have you tried a 12v car vacuum cleaner ? they appear in pound shops for next to nowt, you could even put a filter inside. I have considered these as a blower for hot air soldering gun.
I guess it could be dual purpose also used for removing dust from sets.
Old 6th Mar 2012, 8:28 pm   #18
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

I use an Aoyue Smoke Absorber that I got online. It has a powerful, but almost silent fan. When in use, I can see the smoke going straight from the soldering iron tip and into the filter pad. When the pad turns grey, I take it out, wash it and put it back! When I use this device, I am fine. If I forget for a few minutes, I get a cough that lasts for hours or even days!
Couldn't be bothered making one and I wouldn't be without it now!
Bob
Old 7th Mar 2012, 10:05 am   #19
G4XWDJim
Octode

Bob,

Thanks for posting but may I ask if you could you give a few more details about the model you have. I've just looked them up and there seems to be different models. There's also a you tube video of one in use which seems very different from the others. Like you I get seriously affected by solder flux smoke.

Thanks, Jim
Old 7th Mar 2012, 10:23 am   #20
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Jim,
Here is my Aoyue Smoke Absorber. I think it cost about £20. Initially, I tried to make my own, but they were never much good. This one works fine and it is a pleasure to see the smoke going straight into the filter. The filter is only held on with a clip that is visible in the photograph and can be washed and dried easily. The front of the unit can be adjusted to the required angle.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoke Absorber (Large).jpg
Views:	369
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	63540  

Last edited by Variometer; 7th Mar 2012 at 10:24 am. Reason: Spelling mistake
Closed Thread