UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2021, 1:42 am   #1
bill knox
Hexode

Default Garrard RC121

Hi all

Would anyone have a tone arm from a Garrard RC121 that I could purchase before I tear all my hair out, if they would like it I could give my tone arm from my RC120 as well.

Has anyone got a good remedy for hair loss (ripped out)

Regards

Bill
Old 9th Dec 2021, 8:31 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard RC121

What's wrong with it?
Old 9th Dec 2021, 2:53 pm   #3
Chris R
Pentode

Bill

I have a scrap RC121 with arm. (It even has a plug in head)

Chris R
Old 9th Dec 2021, 8:53 pm   #4
Chris R
Pentode

Can't help with the hair!
Chris R
Old 10th Dec 2021, 2:13 pm   #5
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I can't help with the RC121 or the hair, but if your RC120 one-piece arm ends up being surplus to requirements I could find a use for it here. I am just overhauling an RC120 that has had its headshell somewhat brutally modified to fit an alternative cartridge. I now have a new SC11M which I think would fit without the mod and it would look neater with an intact arm.
TIA Lucien
Old 11th Dec 2021, 11:28 am   #6
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Lucian

If I get the RC121 from Chris R you will be welcome to my RC120 arm, there is VERY slight damage to the back end of the "head shell" where I tried to remove the cartridge location "V" is, but it is very slight

Lets just see what happens with the RC121

Regards

Bill

PS What part of London do you live in?
Old 12th Dec 2021, 12:16 pm   #7
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

Just seen this thread and if all ese fails, I have a complete Garrard RC121 MkII somewhere – operative word is somewhere – and if I can find it, as sadly, quite a few things got chucked whilst vigorously sorting the stuff in the old workshop, anyway its FOC to a loving home that could make use of it – just got to hope its still in the lock-up!

Regards
Terry
Old 14th Dec 2021, 3:33 pm   #8
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Valvepower

Can I take you up on your offer of the RC121 MK2, as and when you find it I will come down to Rayleigh to collect, I know some parts of Rayleigh quite well

I look forward to you finding it

Regards

Bill
Old 14th Dec 2021, 4:22 pm   #9
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill knox View Post

Can I take you up on your offer of the RC121 MK2
Be aware that the two arms are not interchangeable. The original RC121 and the later Mk2 versions are completely different.

Barry
Old 14th Dec 2021, 11:03 pm   #10
bill knox
Hexode

Hi all

Yes, so I am led to believe, what my plan is , to fit an RC121 MK2 into the player, I am waiting for somebody to come back to me regarding this

Regards

Bill
Old 17th Dec 2021, 5:14 pm   #11
Valvepower
Octode

Hi Bill,

Things are looking up and there is some good news and I’ve located the RC121. It’s all there including an head shell for a turn-over cartridge. Pictures attached.

Your more than welcome to pick up from Rayleigh. I’m on the Hockley side of Rayleigh. As I said its FOC.

Regards
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3236.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	248010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3237.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	248011  
Old 25th Dec 2021, 11:51 pm   #12
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Terry

the covering has arrived for the motorboard, just have to stick it down and cut off the excess and fit the motorboard and we are away.

I had to free off the speed change mechanism and fit a little roller into the same area from the other changer and it all looks OK, as I said, get the motorboard covered and we are there, I hope, watch this space

Regards

Bill
Old 27th Dec 2021, 11:14 pm   #13
bill knox
Hexode

Hi All

Well another step closer, I have finished the motorboard, not to bad, just waiting for some 2BA screws to arrive for the changer suspension and then the sprint to the finish.

Regards

Bill
Old 28th Dec 2021, 12:38 pm   #14
Valvepower
Octode

Hi Bill,

Really good to hear about the progress.

It’s heartening to see the turntable being used, as it was only going to languish in the store garage, but this way it’s got a new life

Look forward to hearing about the finished results.

Were those Ronette, Collaro and other cartridge of any use in the end?

Regards
Terry
Old 29th Dec 2021, 1:32 am   #15
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Terry

The 3 Ronette cartridges in the Decca headshell's are fine but a little to much O/P

The Collaro cart is Shot

The single Ronette cartridge is OK but have had a job fitting it into the Garrard headshell as the turnover knob is a little to close to the headshell and I cannot turn it over to see if the 78 needle is OK

The equalisation is not very good on my amp (Deccalian 88) the 3 Ronette carts are rather Bassy and the Ronette cart is a little tinny but I would rather leave the amplifier alone and find another cartridge, but tonight (Tuesday) is the first time I have had the record player working, so at the moment it is work in progress.

Regards

Bill

Last edited by bill knox; 29th Dec 2021 at 1:37 am.
Old 29th Dec 2021, 1:50 am   #16
bill knox
Hexode

Chris R

I am getting the impression that you have rebuilt a Deccalian 88, is it just the amplifier you have or a complete Deccalian 88 record player.

Today I have tried various pickup cartridge's and a Ronette is the closest yet but a bit on the tinny side. what cartridge do you use with your amplifier, did you have to alter the equalisation on your amplifier

As I said in an earlier post I have 2 RC121's now and there were to many pieces missing from your deck so I have robbed a couple of small parts from your deck to get the other deck working, the worse problem I had was the speed selector mechanism, but it now works great.

Someone on UKVRRR has made overtures about wanting parts from my old deck and the other deck was given to me by Valvepower (Terry) many thanks to all.
Old 29th Dec 2021, 11:33 am   #17
Chris R
Pentode

Hello Bill

I have just replied to part of this elsewhere, before seeing this.

You should not have to apply equalisation here, as this occurs naturally if you feed a crystal or ceramic cartridge into the correct impedance (1 - 2 meg.) As I have mentioned, I used a BSR SC12M ceramic cartridge, with the left and right channels commoned.
I have restored a complete Decca 88 and the results are most impressive. They are quite rightly regarded as one of the finest portable record players produced.

Regards,

Chris R
Closed Thread