UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2021, 1:54 pm   #1
bill knox
Hexode

Default Output of various Garrard pickup cartridges

Hi

I am renovating a record player and I am down to trying to get another Garrard cartridge.

My problem is, there are several Garrard cartridges and they all have their own outputs, what I am trying to get is a cartridge to suit the record player, I have looked at an old copy of "Points on Pickups" in there was only one version of a GC2 (I cannot remember the prefix after the model)

The ERT sheet for the record player shows that the cartridge is an Acos Hi-G GP 59-1 I feel that cartridge was for a Collaro deck, which the ERT sheet says the record player could be fitted with, but it says nothing about which Garrard cartridge can be fitted with my Garrard deck which by the way is an RC120/4, I have been trying to get an RC121/4 deck as that would open up a lot of avenues for fitting a different make of cartridge.

Has anyone any information about the various outputs that Garrard cartridges put out and for that matter include Acos and other makes of cartridges.

Regards

Bill

Last edited by bill knox; 8th Dec 2021 at 2:05 pm.
Old 8th Dec 2021, 2:41 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Output of various Garrard pickup cartridges

Data in the pdf at post #51;

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=119339&page=3
Old 8th Dec 2021, 5:40 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There were no Acos cartridges made for Collaro decks. All Collaro autohangers and single players were fitted with Collaro's own (excellent) "Studio" series of cartridges. And that's why it's so difficult to fit any other type of cartridge into their small tone arm heads!
It could be that some of the very late Collaro/Maganvox models, used in Stereo set ups, might have used other options.
Old 8th Dec 2021, 6:29 pm   #4
electrogram
Heptode

The Acos gp67 was a very small turnover cartridge which I have seen fitted in the one piece Collaro arms, I suspect Acos made it with this in mind
Old 8th Dec 2021, 9:34 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, it will just about fit, but the mechanics of it are such that there's no room for it to "turnover".
Old 9th Dec 2021, 1:35 am   #6
bill knox
Hexode

Thank you Restoration 73

Downloaded a copy of Points on Pickups, I thought that I had seen a copy of that but there must have been a lot of pages missing, very interesting, not had much of a change to look at it much yet but I will tomorrow

Regards to all

Bill
Closed Thread