UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2021, 2:17 pm   #1
Pieter H
Tetrode

Default Philips tuner history finished

Hi,

just want to make all old TV fans aware that I (finally) finished the Philips TV tuner history. It has gone a bit out of control, too many products, too many organizational issues, so took me a while to get it all sorted out. But now it covers all TV tuner modules and their underlying technologies and main applications from 1950 to 2014 (when it was ll over).
Hope you enjoy.
In case of errors, mistakes or omissions feel free to let me know.

https://www.maximus-randd.com/technology-history.html
This is the starting site covering also the early TV history.

For tuners specific:
https://www.maximus-randd.com/tv-tuner-history-pt1.html

Or if you want to start at the end:
https://www.maximus-randd.com/tv-tuner-history-pt6.html

Cheers, Pieter
Old 14th Aug 2021, 10:33 am   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips tuner history finished

I've only nibbled at it but found it very interesting.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 14th Aug 2021, 7:36 pm   #3
kan_turk
Hexode

Fantastic work Pieter - well done - wonderful addition to technological history - a major reference work

Rgds
John
Old 15th Aug 2021, 4:34 am   #4
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Many thanks for that, Pieter. It is definitely an opus maximus.

So far I have avoided looking at digital TV transmission/reception, but your Part 6 looks as if it provides an accessible starting point!

Cheers,
Old 15th Aug 2021, 5:12 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

In the middle 1990s, HP's Signal Analysis Division developed a remote controlled instrument to be distributed around cable TV networks and to perform all the standard measurements using the VITS signals embedded in the non-displayed lines. The underlying commercial need was for networks to be able to acquire data and statistics of the signal quality they were delivering to viewers in order to justify their scales of charges to advertisers.

Each instrument had a decent quality RF in, baseband out, TV tuner feeding a set of measurement-aiding filters and a digitiser/processor. We needed well performing tuners for all current TV standards, and Philips had them. We got samples and they were excellent. The trouble came when we wanted to buy our sort of production quantities. Philips were only interested in selling them by the pallet-load. Minimum order quantity being one full pallet per type. End of development!

Yes, there were distributors, but the MOQ applied to them also and they saw no prospect of flogging the rest of each pallet... So guess what the MOQ was from them...

David