UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2021, 8:07 pm   #121
John KC0G
Hexode

Default Re: ISB Receivers

Synchrodyne, thank you.

Re. post #119. I found the article by John Wilson. I recall an exhibition report in Wireless World in the mid to later 1960's where it stated that Racal had just made their ten thousandth RA17. Right now I cannot find the article.

Re. post #120, the Collins 651S-1 receiver does not seem to have been mentioned in this thread. It is mentioned in the communications receiver survey in Wireless World in June 1970. The Collins Collectors Association has information at https://www.collinsradio.org/cca-col...-state/651s-1/ and state that it became available in late 1970. Fred Osterman in Shortwave Receivers Past and Present (4th ed) gives the dates as 1971-73. He also gives prices of $9,000 to $40,000, ie seriously expensive. Apparently most were sold to government agencies.

The point is that it also had an I.S.B. option. It also had a remote controllability option. As such it is an earlier example of the one box, with options, which could do most things. It should have got Racal's and Marconi's attention

73 John KC0G/M0KCY

Last edited by John KC0G; 25th Nov 2021 at 8:08 pm. Reason: Typos.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 4:52 am   #122
John KC0G
Hexode

Re. posts #119 and 121, I found the report of the International Radio Communications Exhibition, in the Dec 1964 issue of Wireless World, pp 610-612. At that time it was stated that over 10,000 of the RA17/RA71 receivers had been made.

The infamous article by B.M. Sosin titled "H.F. Receiver Reception Factor" in Point-to-Point Communication, Jan 1974 has been mentioned a number of times in this thread. In post #102 I noted that the original version was available online, but not the revised version. I see that the revised test and table have now available online at https://themarconifamily.pbworks.com...nt%20magazines Look at the articles related to the last issue.

73 John KC0G/M0KCY
Old 26th Nov 2021, 11:01 am   #123
Radio Wrangler

It was supposed to be an article about a new method of assessing receiver performance, but it was really a vehicle to get out a market survey of many makes and models of receivers, by one of those makers. So it was going to be inevitably partisan. What went out first was so biased that the other makers could throw rocks at it and threaten legal action.

So the second, revised version isn't out of the woods, it will have been throttled-back enough for Marconi to feel safe from legal action. It won't be free of all spin or 100% trustworthy.

Marconi had a long history of making its customers do things to suit Marconi. It was a bit like seeing a dictator tread on a rake.

When the request went out to return all the copies of that edition went out, I wonder just how many sheets of photocopier paper got used around the world?

David