UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2021, 8:26 pm   #1
oldbury863
Triode

Default Garrard RC 110 problems

Im overhauling a Decca Panatrope that is fitted with an RC 110 deck. All seems to work properly including drop point for LP / 45 but when the stylus touches the record it lifts straight off again and returns to the arm rest.
With the platter removed, if I drive it manually by turning the centre shaft by hand it works without fault but only if I turn it slowly. Ive done the obvious lubrication and the only part that is a little stiff is the selector arm (part 77 in the manual) but it has a spring clip on its pivot so Im assuming its not meant to be totally free.
I have only previously serviced a BSR monarch but this deck looks far more complicated to me!
I dont know if the manual is readilly available but Im more than happy to share it if someone tells me the best way to do it. Any suggestions most welcome!
Old 8th Dec 2021, 9:32 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard RC 110 problems

The Garrard RC110 Manual is available from the "Service Data Link at the top right hand corner of this page. Do let us know how you get on with the rare and interesting Panatrope with its single ended 6L6 output.
Old 9th Dec 2021, 10:23 am   #3
oldbury863
Triode

I do have the manual but Im still out of my depth! Regarding the amplifier section, (purists wont like this) a previous owner had already changed the cartridge for a crystal or ceramic Ronette one which had far too much output and didnt need equalisation. The results were very distorted and bass heavy! The 'original' cartridges seem to be both rare and extremely expensive. I tried in vain to fit a modern Stanton magnetic cartridge to it but the output was insufficient to drive the amp to its full output. I therefore took the much cheaper option of removing the equalisation components and changing input resistors so that the amp is not overloaded and left the turnover Ronette cartridge in place. A bit of a shame but I cannot justify spending the silly money prices being asked for Decca cartridges which may be well past their prime anyway.
Old 9th Dec 2021, 12:59 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You can't use a MM in this. An NOS crystal/cermaic cartridge with c.250mV should load the first stage of 6SL7 double triode very well. We can advise on suitable types. What type of Ronette cartridge are you trying to use - is it an early Mono type?. Knowing it's a Decca, was there any type of input matchng transformer after the ORIGINAL cartridge?
Old 10th Dec 2021, 10:19 am   #5
oldbury863
Triode

You've really confused me now! Apart from the fact that it sounded dreadful when I aquired it, the remnants of a stripped down Decca head was lying in the record storage area. Although the stylus was snapped off, the internal coil can clearly be seen and is not a crystal or ceramic type. The spec from the Newnes book quotes the Panatrope cartridges as: Decca C3 brown with 'E' cartridge of 850 ohms (silver seal) for 78rpm. Decca D3 red with 'E' cartridge (green seal) of 4200 ohms for 33/ 45 rpm. The Ronnette I am now using is a old mono turnover one and I intend to replace the stylus once its working correctly. It sounds tonally balanced now, its just this autochanger that doesnt work properly.
Old 10th Dec 2021, 10:22 am   #6
oldbury863
Triode

Just a footnote to this, Ive just had a look at the original Panatrope brochure where it states the use of the "Decca ffrr high fidelity magnetic pickup with interchangable heads"
Old 10th Dec 2021, 3:01 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Then this should have fitted within the amplifier (and before the first triode stage of the 6SL7) a Decca cartridge input-matching transformer. My comments in Post #4 refers to modern MMs, which only have an output of c. 3mV, and not the type magnetics that were available in 1955.