UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2021, 8:47 am   #1
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Unusual BSR cartridge

hello everyone

Just got a record deck with a new-to-me BSR cartridge in it. It appears to be a SX1M, but I can find no specs for it (it's not in Ben's list of ceramic cartridges on this forum)

Anybody got any info about it? it uses one of those fat plastic shafted ST8 stylus, which I've never liked the look of, and they are meant to be low compliance, but why would my mid-60s UA25 deck come with a low compliance cartridge?

Also on the back/top of the cartridge is what looks suspiciously like a button you can slide, does this allow output to be altered ? (he asked hopefully). I'd love that feature!

Any advice on specs and rationale would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3822.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	247363   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3823.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	247364  
Old 6th Dec 2021, 9:13 am   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Unusual BSR cartridge

I can only find specifications for the SX1H, high output low compliance ceramic, presume this is the medium output version. The black plastic on the back would be covered by the label and is perhaps internal mounting for the assembly. Probably use the same plastic body for both versions.
All guess work though.
Spec for the the H version
https://www.adelcom.net/BSR%20Cartridges.htm
Old 6th Dec 2021, 9:15 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Joe,

I've certainly seen those before, usually fitted to low-end Fidelity radiograms etc. Maybe your UA25 came from something like that?

The "X" indicates crystal rather than ceramic, so I hope it still works.

I don't know about your sliding button theory, but it looks plausible.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 9:27 am   #4
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
I can only find specifications for the SX1H, high output low compliance ceramic, presume this is the medium output version. The black plastic on the back would be covered by the label and is perhaps internal mounting for the assembly. Probably use the same plastic body for both versions.
All guess work though.
Spec for the the H version
https://www.adelcom.net/BSR%20Cartridges.htm
Yes your right it WAS covered by the label, so unlikely to be a variable button... shame
Old 6th Dec 2021, 9:31 am   #5
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Hi Joe,

I've certainly seen those before, usually fitted to low-end Fidelity radiograms etc. Maybe your UA25 came from something like that?

The "X" indicates crystal rather than ceramic, so I hope it still works.

I don't know about your sliding button theory, but it looks plausible.
Yes came from a radiogram from around 1966

It actually does work very well. I've been incredibly lucky within crystal cartridges here in Tasmania, and we are not a warm and dry place at all!
Old 6th Dec 2021, 10:22 am   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

It’s listed on that site referenced as ceramic but yes the X will indicate crystal and the output voltage stated would show that as well.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 5:30 pm   #7
david freeman
Hexode

The X1 series of crystal cartridges replaced the TC8 turnover cartridge series, around 1965. The range consisted of the X1H:- high output mono, X1M:- medium output mono, and the SX1M and SX1H:- medium output stereo and high output stereo.
The SX1H would have been very rare, as virtually every stereo player used at least 2 stage amplifiers.
There had never been a TC8SH cartridge.
The X1 mono range was very quickly discontinued in favour of the stereo compatible mono X2/X3 range.
Closed Thread