UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2021, 12:05 pm   #1
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Wobbulator for FM Alignment

Morning all. I have a thread going concerning an Armstrong Jubilee MK2 receiver here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=185310. I have reached the point where, to improve the FM alignment, I need a wobbulator. I have located the article by Raymond Haigh in Radio Bygones No.82, April/May 2003 and I have also read this closed thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=148303 that indicates without the Toko coils, which are unobtainium, the project is a non-starter. Well I only need to cover the 10.7 MHz range therefore I only need the pink coil KXNK3767EK. Data lookup shows this to be 1.2uH with Q of 80. Is there any reason why the Spectrum coil 1u2HL (0.7-1.4 uH, Q of 69) wouldn't be suitable? I still have to obtain a varicap diode KV1236 or equivalent, and find a means of getting a small quantity PCB produced from the artwork so advice on those topics also welcomed. Cheers, Jerry
Old 19th Nov 2021, 2:16 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Wobbulator for FM Alignment

I'm going off this idea somewhat. I've discovered that my scope (a Tektronix T912) doesn't appear to have a sawtooth timebase output, and I don't fancy much digging about inside it to extract the signal. Therefore that would mean I'd also have to build a sweep generator to drive the wobbulator and simultaneously trigger the scope, presumably.
Old 19th Nov 2021, 4:30 pm   #3
Ambientnoise
Heptode

The ramp generator could be as simple as a 555 plus a few simple parts so not too complex especially as you’re doing the more difficult bit.

I gave up with analogue wobulators so built a sweeper using a dds board and arduino, all inside a biscuit tin for screening. The parts were then reused in another project.

Ken
Old 19th Nov 2021, 4:43 pm   #4
cathoderay57
Nonode

Thanks Ken, fair point. I've been offered the loan of a Marconi TF995B2 by a local Forum member so I'm collecting that tomorrow. It provides a decent modulated FM signal which will be an improvement over what I've been doing up to now. Whether I can also use the sync output of the sig gen to drive the X input of the scope and plot the IF curve remains to be seen. Cheers, Jerry
Old 20th Nov 2021, 12:48 am   #5
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Hi Jerry, I guess just use the sig gen sync output to trigger the scopes sweep (so connect to ext trig input) then adjust scope timebase to sweep just a little faster than the sig gen does. Good luck.

Ken
Old 20th Nov 2021, 12:09 pm   #6
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Have a look at this thread, I have found substitutes for the coils and have a design for the timebase.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=172685

I am thinking of designing a pcb for the combined wobbulator and timebase. I will open a separate post.

Peter
Old 21st Nov 2021, 3:37 pm   #7
cathoderay57
Nonode

In the light of the above, would mods please close this thread. Thanks, Jerry
Closed Thread