UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2021, 8:38 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Wobbly R209

Dragged one of my R209 receivers out of the attic recently, and fired it up.

The voltage-regulator tube took some time to 'strike' and even when struck there's a lot of wobbliness of the LO which makes receiving SSB on 14MHz all-but impossible. The thing seems to have a mix of vibrator-ripple and random freqyency-shifts; it's also drawing 2.1A @12V whereas the book says it should take 1.4A.

The thing is full of the 1950s metal-canned versions of Waxies in decoupling roles; there's a load of them round the vibrator, both on the primary- and secondary-sides of the transformer. My instinct is to replace these on sight.

I also suspect the poor thing has previously been run off a float-charged battery which has cooked the poor little 1.4V-filament valves - it needs 13.5V before the LO starts oscillating.

New valves [1S5/1T4] are on order.