UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2021, 5:56 pm   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Questions about selling.

I have read the forum rules on selling, but could not find an answer to two questions that I have. So I am asking them here . . .

1. If I have an item for sale on e-bay, (or elsewhere on the www), can I simultaneously list same item on this forum for sale?
2. As per above, but in this case, suppose I have two identical items for sale and I list one on e-bay (again, or elsewhere), and list the other one on this forum. Is that allowed?

Thank you in anticipation to your response(s).

Al.
July 31, 2021
Old 31st Jul 2021, 6:18 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Questions about selling.

The mods don't like people listing items on eBay at the same time that they're for sale here, but it's not actually against the rules so long as you don't refer to the eBay auction in any way.

It's better all round if you list here first, then close the thread and list on eBay if you don't obtain a satisfactory sale.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 6:26 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

I am not in a position to answer those questions in terms of facts. However, I once had an item for sale on here, then later I also put it on Ebay, and in passing mentioned that fact on the forum. A moderator said that as it was now on Ebay he would remove it from the forum, which he did. Why, I don't know as multiple placings help the seller of an item to sell it, and the members of the forum can, if they want to, buy the item regardless of wherever else it may appear. Win win.

Edit: just seen Paul's post above that aligns with what I've said, but I'd be interested to hear why that is the case? - Ebay isn't supposed to be mentioned?
Old 31st Jul 2021, 6:30 pm   #4
paulsherwin

We decide each case on its merits, and different mods will make different judgements, but that's exactly why we don't like simultaneous listings. It creates work we can do without.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 6:41 pm   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I think it needs a clear rule. Then there can be no possibility of inconsistency between mods.

Just my tuppence worth...

Craig
Old 31st Jul 2021, 6:48 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

A simultaneous listing can be contentious. Say you put something on here, stating a fixed price and several people ask to 'go in the hat'. Meanwhile, your item is available for bids on some auction site.

If the auction site comes up with a bid that beats what you specified on here, do you just dump those people in the hat?

Do you draw the hat, sell the item to a forum member and then not have it when your auction closes?

Either way you risk becoming rather unpopular. You're in a no-win situation. Either one lot or the other will be pricing hit-man contracts.

It's simpler to treat these things serially. Put it on here first with a fixed price. If it gets no interest, then some people might try a reduced price, others might shove it onto ebay or whatever they prefer.

If you're in a rush and serial operation would take too long, you're still in the quandery between quickest sale and best price. If you sell here, it's implicit in your choice of price, if you go for an auction, it's implicit in how long you choose for the auction to run.

David
Old 31st Jul 2021, 9:58 pm   #7
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Listing something on e-Bay and anywhere else simultaneously is against e-Bay's rules. Obviously it's no problem if you've got two whatevers and list one on e-Bay and one somewhere else.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 10:09 pm   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Questions about selling.

Thanks for those replies.

Overall, I asked out of simple curiosity, but I am having a bit of a clear-out and just wanted to avoid doing something here that I shouldn't. However, having said that, David's post number 6 (q.v.) sums up very well why trying to do a 'simultaneous sale' is not a good idea.
I was also ignorant of the e-bay rule as mentioned in post #7 (q.v.)

'Nuff said!
Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 31st Jul 2021 at 10:14 pm. Reason: Add last sentence; re: e-bay rules.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 10:18 pm   #9
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I am not in a position to answer those questions in terms of facts. However, I once had an item for sale on here, then later I also put it on Ebay, and in passing mentioned that fact on the forum. A moderator said that as it was now on Ebay he would remove it from the forum, which he did. Why, I don't know as multiple placings help the seller of an item to sell it, and the members of the forum can, if they want to, buy the item regardless of wherever else it may appear. Win win.

Edit: just seen Paul's post above that aligns with what I've said, but I'd be interested to hear why that is the case? - Ebay isn't supposed to be mentioned?
Well I am amazed that a long standing member doesn't understand what the conflict is. This is a Forum for collectors and enthusiasts, selling is a secondary activity.

We all understand that the seller just wants the item off his hands and the more opportunities the better.

Read this, it has been bumped and linked so many times yet we still see the same problems.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=36144
This explains the why, and we still get on a daily basis members trying to circumvent the rules.

It makes a lot of extra work for the Mods

Cheers

Mike T
Old 1st Aug 2021, 10:34 am   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post

Well I am amazed that a long standing member doesn't understand what the conflict is. This is a Forum for collectors and enthusiasts, selling is a secondary activity.

We all understand that the seller just wants the item off his hands and the more opportunities the better.

Read this, it has been bumped and linked so many times yet we still see the same problems.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=36144
This explains the why, and we still get on a daily basis members trying to circumvent the rules.

It makes a lot of extra work for the Mods

Cheers

Mike T
That's a bit harsh. Me being a long standing member has nothing to do with this subject (reasons for the so called conflict) not having been aired before now, so how would I know them? Or at least I've never seen a full explanation before and TBH I'm still a little underwhelmed at the somewhat esoteric reasons now they've been explained. I could write reams of counter arguments, but the rules are the rules and we have to accept them, and I will. The 'hat' situation is another one. The reason for that is supposedly to not give benefit to those who are retired and can log on at any time, thus beating the still hard working amongst us to the items for sale. Well, as we all know, most of us are retired and in any case why shouldn't those who spend a lot of time contributing to (and even just reading) on the forum 'benefit' over those who do so say a couple of times a week? In all the preceding on selling, a simple 'first come first served' would - in my opinion - solve all the problems.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 10:43 am   #11
paulsherwin

Sellers are not required to run hats. It's completely up to them. Some people choose to do it because they think it's fairer, especially if something is being offered FOC or at a bargain price, while others don't for whatever reason.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 12:09 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

In my experience, if an item is popular it often doesn't take long for someone to ask for a "hat" to be run, if not specifically offered in the opening post. It's up to the offerer of course.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 12:37 pm   #13
kalee20
Dekatron

The explanation that Kat Manton gave, behind the eBay rules, is a brilliant piece of writing, and deserves its regular 'bumping'. New people joining may not be aware at first, but if they check the 'new posts' option, they'll see it within the first half-year to be sure!

As for offering names in a hat, I tend to do that - I work myself so don't always get the chance to grab a bargain with 'first come first served,' and I like to offer others the best chance for anything of mine. It works well!
Old 1st Aug 2021, 1:49 pm   #14
Radio Wrangler

There have been cases in the past, of some people who quickly jump on almost anything offered. It leaves me wondering what they do with it all. Are they building Emmet machines, or is it all for re-sale? Operating a hat levels the playing field, they must take their chances along with everybody else.

There aren't rules against this per se, but it does seem bad manners. Some people have been banned where it's become apparent that their only reason for being here is to trade. This is a difficult judgement to call and it takes agreement amongst the moderators.

On the whole, buying and selling on the forum works well. Those who get pulled from the hat seem pleased, those who miss out don't show any bitterness or resentment and certainly don't reach for their lawyers. The big wide world outside just isn't so, um, genteel.

Just bear in mind that it should be seen as an ancillary activity.

David
Old 1st Aug 2021, 10:00 pm   #15
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
The explanation that Kat Manton gave, behind the eBay rules, is a brilliant piece of writing, and deserves its regular 'bumping'.
I quite agree, it was very well explained.

Regards,
Symon
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 8:58 am   #16
eddie_ce
Hexode

Just to add my two eurocents worth. As has been said before members not able to log in every ten minutes or so are at a disadvantage if no hat is run. I have experienced this problem myself several times. I do think running a hat is the option which is fair to all members.
Closed Thread