UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 15th Mar 2024, 2:55 pm   #1
GreasedMonkey
Pentode

Default Public lecture - Broadcasting to the World: The Wychbold Masts.

I know a few people here have discussed the Droitwich transmitting station in various threads on here so thought this could be of interest to some.

Mods, I have consulted the forum rules and come to the conclusion posting this is allowed, but I could be wrong, I often am. Feel free to delete if so.

Further disclaimer, I have no affiliation with the organisation other than living close to it and seeing this in a local 'what's on' thing that came through the door.

This event can be livestreamed or attended in person. Tickets available from the Bromsgrove school box office. I will not include a link as it is easy to find via Google et-al.

The 37th Bromsgrove Lecture "Broadcasting to the World: The Wychbold Masts"

Dates: 9 Apr 2024
Venues: Bromsgrove School

On 6th September 1934 the BBC made its first broadcast from what was advertised at the time as being “the World’s most modern long wave transmitter” – the twin masts at Wychbold. Ninety years later, during 2024, the BBC will cease broadcasting through an analogue system and the masts will be taken out of service in the coming years.

At the 37th Bromsgrove Lecture, to be held at Routh Concert Hall, Bromsgrove School on Tuesday 9th April at 7.30pm, Alastair Moseley will present “Broadcasting to the World: The Wychbold Masts Reached Every Corner”. In the presentation Alastair will describe how the BBC Transmitters came to be located near Bromsgrove, talk of their significance and why they have been important, both nationally and internationally, for the past 90 years.
GreasedMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2024, 5:42 pm   #2
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: Public lecture - Broadcasting to the World: The Wychbold Masts.

Sounds interesting but too far away for me to consider attending. I wonder if an enterprising local might consider videoing the lecture so that it could be subsequently viewed on a popular platform such as YouTube etc. Just a thought.
red16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2024, 6:20 pm   #3
GreasedMonkey
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by red16v View Post
Sounds interesting but too far away for me to consider attending. I wonder if an enterprising local might consider videoing the lecture so that it could be subsequently viewed on a popular platform such as YouTube etc. Just a thought.
You can watch it live online. This is my plan, even though I am local.
GreasedMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2024, 3:05 am   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Interesting! It links in with the Pailton Radio Station thread by Scott, below this one [14/3/24]. Invevitably the loss of landmark transmitting masts is to be regretted. They were major iconic structures readily viewed by rail or road and it's an increasing concern but there is no incentive to retain or maintain them, unlike similar but non transmitting structures in Blackpool or Paris for example! The last major factory chimney in Ramsbottom was halved due to apparent "safety" concerns but I suspect that Fred Dibnah wouldn't have found very much wrong. He actually didn't like to demolish them as many just needed light repairs. The anticipated housing in Rammy centre is now on hold as the river flooded the area [as I'd predicted] a few years ago

Dave W
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote