UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2021, 10:20 pm   #1
Antonia E
Triode

Default Garrard RC 121 mk ii always rejecting last record

Strange mechanical fault I cant seem to dig up an answer for elsewhere so seeking advice!

One of my players has a Garrard RC 121 mk ii which functions beautifully save for one very annoying fault. When a single record is placed on it for the auto cycle, or it reaches the last record of a stack, after the selector arm operates and the record drops, the selector arm swings into the center and trips so the tonearm (which has raised) goes into the stop cycle, lowers again and switches off.

I've seen a few posts aiming to fix these players NOT functioning to stop and replaying the last record, but never this exact fault so am at a bit of a loss at to what is causing it. I'm used to using a Garrard 210, but I'm aware that the selector functions differently on that model and I'm pretty sure from what I've come across that once the selector has reached its position and the record has dropped it should stay in that position on a 121 mk ii. Can't bend my noggin around how it moves again to cause this.

I should probably mention that when a stack is in place (thereby stopping it swinging into the center) it seems to try but a gentle click sounds suggesting the physical stopping of it disengages something.

Any help gratefully received!

-Antonia
Old 27th Jan 2021, 10:55 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard RC 121 mk ii always rejecting last record

Are you quite sure the Overarm is firmly seated over the stack of records? Make sure it is securely pushed down.
Old 27th Jan 2021, 11:40 am   #3
Antonia E
Triode

Hi Edward thank you for replying!

It definitely is, and as this occurs when the last record has dropped it has sunk down to its lowest.
Old 27th Jan 2021, 7:30 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

When the size selector swings across to the edge of a record, it should give a slight "kickback" before the record is dropped. Is it doing that?

Barry
Old 27th Jan 2021, 7:30 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Are you quite sure the Overarm is firmly seated over the stack of records? Make sure it is securely pushed down.
On this series of decks the last record and the size is determined by a third arm. The overarm has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 27th Jan 2021, 8:05 pm   #6
Antonia E
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
When the size selector swings across to the edge of a record, it should give a slight "kickback" before the record is dropped. Is it doing that?

Barry
It doesn’t seem to be giving that slight kick no! Does that suggest it needs some form of adjustment?

Thank you for replying!
Old 27th Jan 2021, 8:06 pm   #7
Antonia E
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
On this series of decks the last record and the size is determined by a third arm. The overarm has nothing whatsoever to do with it.
Thank you for replying Michael!
Old 27th Jan 2021, 10:08 pm   #8
Michael Maurice

One common fault is that the third arm cannot easily go to the centre due to it partially seizing on its pivot.

To rectify it, you'll have to strip it down. the manual which is on this site will help you.

Locate the pick up cam (item 61) and remove it.

That cam is located on a shaft, there are other bits that rotate on that shaft deeper in the mechanism.

They all have to be removed, the shaft and all other parts thoroughly cleaned of old grease and then fresh grease applied before re-assembling. I'm not very good at explaining unfortunately.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 27th Jan 2021, 11:27 pm   #9
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonia E View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post

Barry
It doesn’t seem to be giving that slight kick no! Does that suggest it needs some form of adjustment?

Thank you for replying!
I know that on the 210 deck, that little kick doesn't happen like it does on the 121Mk2. I'll have a closer examination of mine tomorrow and get back to you. I have an idea that the two screws on the back end of the size selector have to be adjusted, but don't do anything to these until I've checked the service manual.

Barry
Old 28th Jan 2021, 3:41 am   #10
Antonia E
Triode

Thank you all for the replies - I'll look forward to browsing the manual as suggested Michael, and also for your reply Barry as I've noticed when it comes to these you seem to be regarded as "THE" go-to chap!

-Antonia
Old 28th Jan 2021, 9:07 pm   #11
Audio1950
Dekatron

I've been looking at the RC121 today, and all I can tell you is this. (I seem to have mislaid my service sheet). When the size arm comes across it touches the edge of the record, (any size), then kicks back about maybe an eighth of an inch, before moving in again to touch the edge of the record. This seems to "lock" the size arm into position, as after the record has dropped, you cannot push the size arm in or out any further until the arm has lifted at the end of the record. The "kickback" happens very quickly and has to be carefully watched for. I'm pretty sure the fault lies in the position of the size arm at the point where it hits the record, but can't be certain, unfortunately.

Barry
Old 28th Jan 2021, 9:44 pm   #12
Antonia E
Triode

Thank you Barry! That certainly gives me a very specific area to work on eliminating a bunch of other problems - I shall poke about at it more tomorrow and post if I have any luck!

-Antonia
Closed Thread