UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2020, 10:53 am   #1
jascha
Hexode

Default Studer A807 capstan not spinning for cleaning purposes (without tape laced)

Hi,

I have one of my Studer A807 (MkII) that is not following a procedure that is mentioned in the Operating Manual. Basically the machine should operate the Capstan without tape being laced by just pressing the play button. The EOT sensor should also not detect any tape in the path and the capstan then should spin to facilitate cleaning.
When i tried my other Studer A807 (MkI) it seems to work as it should.
I also noticed that the counter roller increments the tape counter when I spin it by hand without the tape being laced. I believe that this should not be the case.

Am I thinking right that it could therefore be the EOT sensor? I came to this conclusion because of the counter that whilst spinning the roller by hand and without tape present, the counter adds up or down the time display. I tried the same trick on my other machine and the counter does not count up or down the time without tape present.

Your advice is much appreciated before I start investigating please.

Thanks
Old 30th Nov 2020, 12:43 am   #2
Learnfrompast
Diode

Default Re: Studer A807 capstan not spinning for cleaning purposes (without tape laced)

Check that the tension arm is in its rest position (push it by hand).
Old 1st Dec 2020, 1:00 am   #3
jascha
Hexode

Default Re: Studer A807 capstan not spinning for cleaning purposes (without tape laced)

I shall give it a try but I'm pretty sure the arm comes down to its resting place.
Surely both machines should behave in same manner?

Thanks
Old 7th Dec 2020, 4:49 pm   #4
jascha
Hexode

Just to say that I solved the problem after I realised that one of the cables that feeds the IR sensor got broken off and after resoldering it in place the function in question is back in action.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF7D4FCE-4690-402B-B39C-CD1E7DDE27E1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	222046  
Closed Thread