UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2021, 6:45 pm   #1
Superhet Si
Pentode

Default TV Radio repair shop in Peterborough circa 70's

Been thinking about my Grandfather a lot recently, like him I love tinkering with old radios Tv's and Test equipment.
I do remember he had a part time job after retirement working in a shop in Peterborough repairing Tv's and radios. Would anyone know this shop and it's name. I was very young at the time and all I can remember was the display of steadfast screwdrivers on the counter!
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 7:07 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: TV Radio repair shop in Peterborough circa 70's

I do remember a shop in the Lincoln road, not sure if your one, check out this thread
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=93489

I think we also had the Steadfast (two sizes) at Watts Radio.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 5:33 pm   #3
Superhet Si
Pentode

You know what, I think that's the place. That's amazing. Thank you very much. I will send this to Mum, see if she can remember.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 6:51 pm   #4
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

#2 which page of that link, there are lots! Reason I ask is in the later 60s i worked at a radio tv shop in Lincoln Rd, Peterborough .
Rob
Old 7th Apr 2021, 12:25 pm   #5
Station X

Three posts moved to this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=93489

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Apr 2021, 9:50 am   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Superhet Si .
The shop where I was in 1967 was called "Modern Television". Either 433 or 443 Lincoln Rd, located in an area known as the "Triangle". Run by 3 radio amateurs. Barry Griffiths, G6AAG/T, Harry Bone, G3EHQ and Lou Nicholls, G3GMW I think. I was there just a few months from about Sept 1967 to May 1968 when I joined Pye Telecom at Cambridge Works.
Rob
Old 10th Apr 2021, 11:01 pm   #7
slidertogrid
Octode

Modern had two shops, one next to the bus station at Millfield and the other on the triangle which became Bourges Boulevard at some point.
I used to scrounge old tellies from there on a weekly basis. Lots of barrel Murphys and the like. My Invicta (Pye 11U) came from there, a set which I still have.
When Modern finished Lew Nicholls opened a shop a few doors down from the original shop on the triangle. The shop by the bus depot lasted another year or so and then it too closed down.
Lew had enough of being self employed on the early 1980's and took a job at Paul Taylor's. I had worked for the same firm and had left to become self employed a couple of years earlier working from home.
I took over Lew's old shop and ran it until late 2000 . Lew came to work for me in the mid 80's and stayed until he retired I think in the late 1990's. I sold out to another dealer in late 2000 as I saw the sh1t heading for the fan.
The shop finally closed around 2005/6 finally ending there being a TV shop on "the triangle".

Other Peterborough shops I pestered as a lad in the early 70's were Ivan Dow and REL electrics both also on Lincoln Road. Harry Bone in Gladstone ST just around the corner from British relay on Cobden St. There was another place called HED services just off Eastfield road they had huge piles of old sets stacked up at the back of the shop. There was one on Mayors walk, TV services (TVS) they had a huge skip around the back usually full of cardboard which meant any old sets thrown in usually had a soft landing! I had a Pye Continental from there that was immaculate ( but old) I let a school mate have it and it went for years eventually going to Uni with him!
Happy days!
Rich
Old 10th Apr 2021, 11:11 pm   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

A picture of my shop in the early 1980's...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210311-WA0000[1].jpg
Views:	88
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	231429  
Old 11th Apr 2021, 8:58 am   #9
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

When I left Modern tv in 68, they were in the process of a deal with the Millfield shop, was his name Pollard? It started a short time earlier when myself, Barry and maybe Lew went on a Friday for fish and chip sit down lunch at the chip shop almost opposite. The owner used to join us. Back in the late 60s, my friend's brother Alan Burton (Mick Burton was my best man later on in 1973) worked for Harry Bone. Before recent retirement he was with Ferrus(?) In Peterborough repairing smps. They closed down and he retired early. Three other friends also worked for Paul Taylor. Graham Boor and Colin Garrat, who I often see and Michelle Richer.
Still not found the shop referred to in post 2 link. 26 pages a lot to search through!
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 11th Apr 2021 at 8:59 am. Reason: additional
Old 11th Apr 2021, 12:08 pm   #10
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
When I left Modern tv in 68, they were in the process of a deal with the Millfield shop, was his name Pollard? Three other friends also worked for Paul Taylor. Graham Boor and Colin Garrat, who I often see and Michelle Richer.
Rob
Yes Mr Pollard was at the Triangle branch. He is the chap that gave my the Invicta. I went one Saturday to see if they had any old sets. Mr Pollard said he would bring in the Invicta next week for me . It had been his mother's set. The next Saturday I got my dad to take me in the car and we picked up the Invicta. I was delighted with it as it had UHF and I could watch BBC2 !

I worked for Paul Taylor's when I left school in 1977 until 1981. I often went out on field service with Colin and later when he left I got his car and did his field service round. Colin went to work for KRE on Mayors walk (formally TVS).

Mike (as he was then) Richer was the service manager at Paul Taylors for a while . Replacing Roger Longland who went to work in another dept. Mike and Roger were great guys, very easy to work for. Then came a new chap who was not easy to please hence me leaving and going self employed...
The new chap had a plan, get rid of the old sets and replace them with New Philips G11s then you could cut down on service staff and wages.

That plan didn't end well ! The proper engineers were the ones who left (three came to work for me! ) Roger went to Kellyvision, Bob Wood went to Ben's TV. That left the bottle jockeys and panel pushers... one chap had been a milkman, no joke! The early G11s were not that reliable either!
I saw Colin a few years back at one of the Ham junk sales he is still the same with a great sense of humour...

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 11th Apr 2021 at 12:31 pm. Reason: Automotive removed
Closed Thread