UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2021, 12:36 am   #41
majoconz
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker Mayflower tuning problem

The 'blob' just above my yellow square - as you say, may be a blob of solder discoloured a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	232629  
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 4:10 pm   #42
Pilot Mariner
Hexode

Location: Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK or Kabaty in Warsaw Poland.

An update on this, and due to more pressing jobs through the summer months I have eventually managed to get back to finishing this Hacker Mayflower. Apologies for the abrupt ending of my last post leaving the thread hanging for a few months.

A quick recap, members may remember that this HM2 was tuning normally down to approx 90MHz where the local Cannock Chase radio station is, and not tuning further down to Radio 2 even though the pointer and tuner mechanism still had an inch or so of travel left.
The eventual cure was to bravely venture inside the gorler tuner unit add a few pfs across one of the permeability tuning coils/trimmer capacitor.

The first picture shows two small disc capacitors that I used (circled) in series in order to get the correct capacitance across the coil/trimmer.
This now brings in Radio 2 loud and clear at 88.3MHz and other stations at their correct place on the scale after a slight tweak to the pointer position on the cord.

In addition, whilst I had the chassis out in order to do the usual service I decided to try out Stevehertz's tone modification. Steve's post is here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ight=mayflower

This really made an improvement to the sound giving a nice punchy bass. I therefore decided to make this arrangement permanent as it seemed easy to incorporate as shown in the 2nd picture, with the additional components circled.

The link connecting the tape O/P and gram I/P is removed and replaced by the 270K resistor ensuring that the green wire carrying the audio from the front end is connected to the tape out socket and the coax feed up to the volume control is connected to the gram I/P ie each end of the 270K resistor. Note that doing the mod this way causes it to be out of circuit if the gram input is ever used, which does not really bother me

An unused tag is available to connect the 100K resistor and the 6.8nf capacitor neatly together, and a nearby earth tag is available for the capacitor.

I have also restored the rather tatty cabinet shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HM2 Tuner caps.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	242618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steves Mod.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	242619   Click image for larger version

Name:	HM2 cabinet.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	242620   Click image for larger version

Name:	HM2 inside.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	242621  
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 6:38 pm   #43
stevehertz
Dekatron

Nice work Mark.
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 7:43 pm   #44
Pilot Mariner
Hexode

Location: Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK or Kabaty in Warsaw Poland.

Thanks Steve and thanks to all who helped.
Old 4th Oct 2021, 8:15 am   #45
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

Thanks for the recap on the re-cap !

It's always nice to hear the "end of the story", especially when it's a positive outcome.
Closed Thread