UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2020, 12:37 pm   #61
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Re: Writing a test equipment theory and repair book?

Hi!

I am also proposing an optional "Appendix 7" that will incorporate some mathematics appropriate to the pieces of equipment described, and will cover things like Wien and Phase–Shift Oscillator derivations, mathematics relating to meters, r.ms. and average values, etc., in short, any piece of equipment where relatively simple A–Level mathematics is relavent.

Chris Williams
Old 30th Jun 2020, 8:22 pm   #62
Bookman
Hexode

Hi Chris,

I hope you don’t mind if I add just a couple of points.
In this I am hoping that any issues arising out of these points can be addressed possibly in a preface or indeed any preliminary informative beginnings.

Your literary endeavours will be technical in nature and as such will have issues of copyright associated with them. The fact that it is technical will mean that the methodology employed to prepare and complete your endeavours will in fact imply that your work will in the main be “theoretical”.
It follows that you will need to decide how you wish to present any descriptive supporting notes that does not let readers believe that you are the inventor or otherwise of any specific aspect of the book that may have been provided elsewhere.

The latter notwithstanding I do not doubt that your book will contain many aspects of testing methods that may not have been provided previously or perhaps in a different format or simply not current; ergo may have innovation, invention or NPD associated with it. Your knowledge however in such matters will have to be classed as “conceptual”

The latter is an important issue for consideration especially from an academic viewpoint. In this the latter will classify such issues as being of your opinion only and it may well affect consideration of publication by a higher authority.
If indeed you have undertaken tests that met the requirements of an aim or objective then it would be wise to state so. However, where there may have been confusion or difficulty it would be wise to state that you would suggest further testing and state the reasoning.

For such technical issues ensure correct usage of epistemology and add a sense of algorithmic application as both will help with use of syntax.
Apologies for rattling on a bit.
Joe

PS
In order to ensure correct labelling for technology see below.

Invention is a new technology or product that may or may not deliver benefits to the customer

Innovation is an idea, service, product or technology that has been developed and marketed to customers who perceive it as novel or new. It is a process of identifying, creating and delivering new-product or service value that did not exist before in the market place

New-product development is the development of original products. Product improvements, product modifications and new brands through the firm’s own R&D efforts

(Kotler et al 2002)
Old 30th Jun 2020, 9:22 pm   #63
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

A general "foreword" or "preface" will be provided and any particular precautions relavent to any particular chapter will be provided at the beginning of the chapter in question.

Every endeavour will be made to contact posters of original designs, etc., before the chapters are published on–line!

The mods did write a "sticky" called "scanning publications – what's the rules?" in which it was decided that publication/re–publication of very old articles/circuit diagrams is generally considered to be "fair use" providing acknowledgement of source is quoted!

Much mathematical theory of the type I am likely to use has been in the public domain for such a long time that trying to trace every possible source is impossible!

Chris Williams

PS!

It is my intention to attempt to construct any particular "project" I feature in my book to ensure it works like something originally intended before releasing the chapter "into the wild" as it were!

Last edited by Chris55000; 30th Jun 2020 at 9:27 pm.
Old 10th Aug 2020, 8:36 am   #64
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Foreword and Table Of Contents to be posted shortly!

Chris Williams
Old 10th Aug 2020, 10:48 am   #65
David Simpson
Nonode

Good on yer Chris, for soldiering on with your book. For some time past, and even currently, I've mooted the idea of all the wealth of info in these Forum pages possibly being collated into a worthwhile information format. For instance - the current Marconi 995A & HP180A threads will be of use to newer members in future years. On the other hand, the wealth of info on AVO CT160's is astronomical & goes back years, but one or two folk are still asking damn-fool questions without ever looking at "Search" first. Even then, 160's & other VCM's still get phooked.
Some of the "Old Uns" have shelves full copies of BVWS "Bulletin", or VMARS "Signal" or "Radio Bygones" going back years, and, at the drop of a hat, can remember which one to lewk at for a particular technical article.
I do hope that folk give you as much help as possible. Its an excellent worthwhile concept.
Quite frankly, my literary skills, like my computer software skills are minimal for such a challenge. However, I did, some years back, offer a "hands-on" mentoring visit for novice folk up to here, free except for one or two hours jobbing about our wee smallholding. Plenty of healthy home cooked grub, a swally or two, and plenty of healthy Scottish fresh air. No effing takers ! Guess that's well & truly knocked on the head now for the foreseeable future, thanks to Corvid. But, hopefully, local hands-on mentoring down in the towns & cities is a possibility, and would complement your written endeavours.

Regards, David
Old 12th Aug 2020, 10:15 am   #66
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Can anyone recommend a suitable interesting and eye-catching design for the front cover?
What type of picture/front cover graphic would Members suggest?

Chris Williams
Old 12th Aug 2020, 10:42 am   #67
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Foreword. . .

Chris Williams
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T & M Book Foreword.pdf (456.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 12th Aug 2020, 12:55 pm   #68
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

My recommendation for printing and housing the contents of my T & M book is to store it in Loose–Leaf format, I will issue pre–designed Index Sheets, which I recommend are printed on single sheets of A4 Self–Adhesive Paper, then stuck to ready made 20 Tab packets of Index Cards available from Rymans, Staples, W.H. Smith's, Tesco, etc., then the chapters can be printed and filled in Lever Arch Files.

It might be worth buying the "corporate style" sort where you can insert your own cover sheets in the jacket.

Please don't ask what the final page count is as I can't offer more than a very rough estinate, but I think it will be well over 3000 ! (1500–2000 A4 sheets plus about 100 A3 sheets)

Chris Williams
Old 12th Dec 2020, 8:33 pm   #69
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

At least ten chapters aren't far away from completion and will be posted early on in the New Year!

I'm not writing them in strict chapter number sequence, as many require referral to pieces of equipment from my collection and some require PCBs designing to accommodate prototype sections of circuit I'm including in the projects, or the purchase of additional or replacement parts.

It's most definitely not going to be abandoned, rest assured, to all those Friendly Members who've encouraged me to begin this project!

I aim to have the complete work written by July 2023 at the latest.

Chris Williams
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 12:13 pm   #70
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

I have new content to add for this, as I have now decided to use my many years of experience in dealing with equipment where Manuals are very poorly copied, incomplete or simply not available to pass some on in the form of two new Parts 18 and Parts 19 of my book, and I have begin writing some of these new chapters.

The Revised Foreword & Table Of Contents attached here is the most currently completed ones from 2nd June 2021.

Chris Williams
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 8:10 pm   #71
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Chris, another section you might like to consider ,and which is being used more often these days is the computer sound card.
Both as a signal source and a waveform analysis tool.

Ed
Old 4th Jun 2021, 11:10 am   #72
Chris55000
Nonode

Morning Ed!

I'll probably add that in Part 17 (Additional Material requested by Members) in due course, once I've researched enough material to make a reasonable sized Chapter of it –Thanks for the tip Ed!

Chris Williams