UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2021, 9:39 am   #1
B.Taylor
Tetrode

Default Garrard SP25 tripping too early

Hello all,

A fault has developed where my SP25 MK11 randomly trips half way through a record. I am ultra busy at the moment finishing the house ready to sell, so it would be great if someone knows what the problem is so I can go straight in and fix it. The deck was cleaned and re greased last year and the trip pawl was also cleaned and assembled without oil.

Thanks, Bill
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 10:09 am   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard SP25 tripping too early

It can only be the trip pawl that makes the arm trip too early. It is not being kicked back by the turntable boss, so something is causing it to stick. Take it off, and clean both the pawl and the hole on the cog before reassembling. Put a tiny drop of thin oil in the hole, either sewing machine or hair clipper, but not 3-in-1, as that goes sticky after a while, and causes more problems. Also check the slider that pushes the trip pawl (under the big cog that the trip pawl is attached to), as that may also be sticking.

Barry
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 11:03 am   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

+1

Peter
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 7:52 pm   #4
B.Taylor
Tetrode

Great, thanks for info. I'll do as you suggest and report back.

Bill.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 4:46 am   #5
mister valve
Hexode

As someone else has said, it is the almost certain to be the 'trip' (actuating pawl). Both parts of the pawl have to be able to move freely and independently. If they have stuck together or are stiff to move this will cause premature actuation of the auto mechanism.
I have come across this problem with Garrard actuating pawls before. I used to remove them from the cam and drop it into methylated spirit, moving both parts of the pawl a few times, until they became completely free to move.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 7:44 am   #6
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Agreed its the pawl, clean and lubricate as above but don't get any oil on the actual sliding plates, that will cause them to stick.

Peter
Old 4th Nov 2021, 3:03 pm   #7
mister valve
Hexode

I personally would keep ALL forms of lubrication away from the actuating pawl & mounting pivot. They were never lubricated at the factory. Both the pawl clutch assembly and the pivot it sits on (on the cam), should be scrupulously clean and dry. Any oil (no matter how thin) will cause extra 'drag' which is certainly not required in that area.

This applies to both "BSR" & Garrard" which use similar mechanisms.