UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Sep 2020, 2:37 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default EKCO TMB-272 Worth restoring?

Another workshop clearance item is an EKCO TMB-272 Television.
It has a cracked glass screen cover and no switches .

What is does have is the rare detachable mains lead which ive read on this forum is like rocking horse.....

There is still a service label attached to it from the workshop that says sound no picture!!

I dont have the knowledge to fiddle with old Tvs , im more of a radio man .
Worth restoring? or just another old TV?
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 2:42 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: EKCO TMB-272 Worth restoring?

If not restorable, see this post: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...hlight=ekco+tv
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 2:49 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: EKCO TMB-272 Worth restoring?

Good afternoon,
I presume when you say there are no switches, you mean the 2 sets of concentric controls on the front. Left hand is the on/off sound and brightness and the right hand is the switched tuner and fine tuner. Might be difficult to find a replacement tuner, though the other parts shouldn’t be too hard to find. What is the state of the LOPT as the housing is known to fail on these. If this looks ok and the CRT is ok then it may be worth restoration. Try to get “first light” before going too far and finding difficult to replace things like the CRT has no emission or the lopt or scan coils have failed.

I have restored one and they are relatively easy to work on with a bonus that the chassis is earthed and all series/parallel valve heaters

Christopher Capener
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 3:06 pm   #4
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
Good afternoon,
I presume when you say there are no switches, you mean the 2 sets of concentric controls on the front. Left hand is the on/off sound and brightness and the right hand is the switched tuner and fine tuner. Might be difficult to find a replacement tuner, though the other parts shouldn’t be too hard to find. What is the state of the LOPT as the housing is known to fail on these. If this looks ok and the CRT is ok then it may be worth restoration. Try to get “first light” before going too far and finding difficult to replace things like the CRT has no emission or the lopt or scan coils have failed.

I have restored one and they are relatively easy to work on with a bonus that the chassis is earthed and all series/parallel valve heaters

Christopher Capener
Its literally just the knobs that are missing from the front.
All the internals are there .
LOPT looks ok to me but obviously ive not turned it on as that would be potentially catastrophic.

Funny it was your posts back in 2015 that i was reading before posting this on here.
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 10:39 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I’d say it’s definitely worth restoring, one of the best 405 line sets I’ve ever had, only thing that lets mine down is a knackered volume pot! Picture is superb and stays stable for hours.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 7:10 am   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

The missing knobs are less of a problem than the implosion glass, what is the cosmetic condition like? If you do not want to restore it, I could certainly use it to restore the two sets I have here.

Mark
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 7:26 am   #7
Freya
Octode

I bet its the visconal capacitor thats dragging the EHT down.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 11:55 am   #8
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
The missing knobs are less of a problem than the implosion glass, what is the cosmetic condition like? If you do not want to restore it, I could certainly use it to restore the two sets I have here.
The cosmetic condition is okish the metal plate in the front is bent but can be straightened with a clamp unit ,the implosion glass will need to be replaced for sure.
I will post a picture when i can get too it , not sure what im going to do yet though.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 4:52 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Cut a sheet of Perspex for the implosion screen. The original may be laminated but Perspex is easy to work with and safe implosion wise. J.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 4:56 pm   #10
Freya
Octode

The original is Laminated and toughened, saw one smashed in cubes recently but held roughly together still.
Good idea on the perspex, glass is 6mm
Old 5th Oct 2020, 7:07 pm   #11
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
These are great sets and well worth restoring. If the CRT is good the picture is bright with good definition.
Perspex for the implosion protection is perfect, the Pye V4 used tinted perspex and will never buckle if the inevitable happens.

Regards.
Trevor
Closed Thread