UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2022, 8:24 pm   #1
unitelex
Hexode

Default Retro Chip Tester

Happy to have my Retro Chip Tester kit built and up and running now.
Works a treat.

I sometimes get early 80’s computers or various processor boards from 80’ gear for repair and this tester can check early RAM chips and read/program early multi-rail EPROMs which most programmers cannot support.
This was necessary for the repair of the memory board shown, it’s old TMS2716 (3 rail) EPROMs had some corroded pins, at least 3 pins were missing. These were the ceramic package with the gold plated edge-bonded pins. I tried soldering pins on however the joint has no strength and any slight force takes the gold plating off leaving a difficult to solder substrate. I managed to get some thin wire tacked on temporarily, and was able to read the contents of the EPROMs and then program some replacements.

I bought the expansion PCB set for the RCT which got me the EPROM programmer boards, but this set also includes adapters for reading and programming 80’s game cartridges, not sure if I will get to use those, but who knows…useful to have on hand I guess.

Regards
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40BA445D-F88A-4A7F-9BEF-87C0F9907556.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	264671   Click image for larger version

Name:	8ED33338-22E6-4D85-8E8A-CAC28A375437.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	264672  
Old 13th Sep 2022, 9:37 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: Retro Chip Tester

Wow! well done mate.
Old 30th Oct 2022, 12:35 pm   #3
Retrotechie
Pentode

Default Re: Retro Chip Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitelex View Post
Happy to have my Retro Chip Tester kit built and up and running now.
Works a treat.

I sometimes get early 80’s computers or various processor boards from 80’ gear for repair and this tester can check early RAM chips and read/program early multi-rail EPROMs which most programmers cannot support.
This was necessary for the repair of the memory board shown, it’s old TMS2716 (3 rail) EPROMs had some corroded pins, at least 3 pins were missing. These were the ceramic package with the gold plated edge-bonded pins. I tried soldering pins on however the joint has no strength and any slight force takes the gold plating off leaving a difficult to solder substrate. I managed to get some thin wire tacked on temporarily, and was able to read the contents of the EPROMs and then program some replacements.

I bought the expansion PCB set for the RCT which got me the EPROM programmer boards, but this set also includes adapters for reading and programming 80’s game cartridges, not sure if I will get to use those, but who knows…useful to have on hand I guess.

Regards
Chris
Hi Chris, I have recently ordered one of these from a supplier in the UK, but it’s only the pcb with the atmel ic already soldered.
I have a shopping cart for a German vender (Reichelt.de), but curious where you ordered the parts for your one, or did it all come supplied ?

Many thanks,
Closed Thread