UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2022, 7:40 am   #1
trobbins
Heptode

Default AVO-Megger BM81/T service help please

Two AVO-Megger BM80 series IR/DVM meters came along recently, but are faulty. One displays but doesn't measure correctly, and the other only shows a simple display code. I can find very little in the way of technical information for the /T model range, let alone anything resembling service information. The only similar datasheet is for the later series 2: https://content.megger.com/getattach..._DS_en_V11.pdf

The units appear to be fairly modern, with a main smt part pcb, and a separate LCD pcb, and a LED interface to talk with some ill-defined DLB RS232 device. It looks like the BM80 series 2 was around in year 1999, so I'm guessing early 1990's vintage for the BM80/T, and BM81/T.

So far I've only checked that the rotary switch is ok on the display code faulty unit - although just having a display code may indicate a poor LCD display connection. Any help would be appreciated as this model has a nice high 100-200 Gigohm FS reading capability, but I'm not that keen to reverse engineer the pcb.

Ciao, Tim
Photo below is similar, but of the BM80/2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bm80.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	264550  

Last edited by trobbins; 11th Sep 2022 at 7:55 am.
Old 11th Sep 2022, 2:06 pm   #2
Kentode
Octode

Default Re: AVO-Megger BM81/T service help please

I don't know if this helps, but it looks very similar to my Newlec NL222. This is by AVO International of Dover, Kent.

There is someone on here who's very knowledgeable about anything AVO, but until they read your thread you might find some information under the Newlec name.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220911_140232.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	264570  

BVWS member
Old 11th Sep 2022, 2:48 pm   #3
trobbins
Heptode

Thanks Ken - many paths can lead to Rome - and I'm fine to wait for anything to come along. It's always a risk to repair newer equipment - it's been much easier to fix up more vintage AVO high voltage gear like an RM215-L2.
Old 11th Sep 2022, 4:46 pm   #4
pmmunro
Octode

Tim,

There is quite a comprehensive data sheet on the AVO website https://content.megger.com/getattach...637.1662910230 but perhaps you have this already.

I have found AVO at Dover quite helpful in providing what service information exists for their equipment but this instrument may well be a re-badged unit made by another organisation. The Newelec version would tend to support this. (Newlec is the brand name of the UK electrical wholsaler Newey & Eyre, now owned by Rexel). You may find similar testers with other labels but it's not too likely that any of them will be any more willing, or able, to provide service data.

Have you tried Avo/Megger Australia? https://megger.com/support/distribut...ia#megger-rent

The BM 80 is included on a spreadsheet of spare parts which Avo were able to supply about 15 years ago. The parts available then were mostly casing parts, labels and general purpose ICs.

PMM
Old 12th Sep 2022, 12:30 am   #5
trobbins
Heptode

PMM, ta for that insight. Yeh the datasheet for the BM80/2 (series 2) you linked to is the same datasheet I linked in post#1 - it suggests that the two units we have here should be good performers. The mid 1990's dating info I deduced was from a 1999 listing (that included BM80/2) of suitable equipment to meet regulatory testing requirements at the time.

I will give the local Megger product guy a ring to see what he says, and also about the original sales outlet (there is a sticker on the rear of the units). I'll see if Ed D doesn't mind contacting Dover for me. Ciao, Tim
Old 8th Mar 2023, 3:41 am   #6
trobbins
Heptode

A quick update that the UK Technical Support group of Megger located some BM80/400 schematics/layout via assistance from Australian Megger support, so I will see how similar that info is to the BM81/T I have, and progress with faultfinding.
Old 8th Mar 2023, 5:54 am   #7
Kentode
Octode

That's great news Tim, I hope it helps.

It might be worth sharing on the forum, but you'll need to check on the copyright first just in case.

BVWS member
Old 8th Mar 2023, 6:37 am   #8
trobbins
Heptode

Perhaps easier if anyone needing info for repair just pm me, as I am grateful for just receiving the provided info. I do aim to make an update if I can identify a fault
Closed Thread