UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 2nd Apr 2024, 5:24 pm   #61
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: AKAI M8 recapping

Luckily I had a scrap deck so all was well.

A little investigation should help find the VU problem. I assume it doesn't register in play or record? If that's the case using a digital meter measure the meter's coil resitance - it should be a fairly low ohms reading. Hopefully that will be OK and you can move to the meter drive circuit. There's not much there so if you're lucky it'll just be a wire that's come adrift.
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 6:30 pm   #62
RoyceVM
Tetrode

Glad to know you found a replacement part for the cams. If not, I would have looked for one here in US.

The right VU don't move at all in play mode. I never checked in record mode because I have to buy the RCA to line in connector to try that. I bought an ADM 11 microphone and soon I receive it will try recording with it.
If I remember correctly, both read around 500 ohms. I will check the line connections. Thanks!

Motor temperature is not exceeding 110F after 40 min playing. I hope that is fine!
I think that is something I need to watch. It is better to replace the motor caps if the motor slows down or overheat.
In the schematics I somehow missed the value of those capacitors.

Last edited by RoyceVM; 2nd Apr 2024 at 6:39 pm.
RoyceVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 9:34 pm   #63
RoyceVM
Tetrode

Found the motor caps C30a and C30b, they are 2.2 µF 300V and 0.5 µF 300V film capacitors. Motor is running with correct speed and no overheating at this time so, I would leave them alone.

Last edited by RoyceVM; 2nd Apr 2024 at 9:42 pm.
Old 3rd Apr 2024, 1:43 am   #64
RoyceVM
Tetrode

I gently tapped the right VU meter with my finger when it was playing music, and it jumps as I tap but not responding to the audio. So, needle assembly is not stuck. So it seems like it is not getting any voltage.

I had the same issue with boomboxes where VU sometimes don't respond and the major cause was always a dirty record bar switch. A good cleaning of that record bar rectified the problem.

I cleaned the record switches with DeOxit FaderLube 5 multiple times (50 reciprocating movements each time) and believe it is all clean. After all this M8 was extra clean to begin with. L

Last edited by RoyceVM; 3rd Apr 2024 at 1:50 am.
Old 3rd Apr 2024, 5:15 pm   #65
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceVM View Post
Found the motor caps C30a and C30b, they are 2.2 µF 300V and 0.5 µF 300V film capacitors.
Looking at the M8 Service Manual there appears to be a small error/discrepency in relation to the motor capacitors.

On page 19 exploded view it shows a component that looks like a can capacitor, with item # 83-001m. On page 13 Drive Motor Parts List section, item 83-001m is described as Condenser 2.2u + 0.6u

On page 22 schematic motor capacitors are shown as C30a 0.6u C30 2.2u

So from the above, item 83-001m looks to be a dual can capacitor C30a + C30b

The error is that also on page 19 a single capacitor is shown fitted across a 3 way terminal strip identified as C30a. I think most likely this capacitor is actually C29 0.5uF which is switched in to the motor circuit when high speed is selected.

The motor capacitors C30a & C30b are listed as M.P. (Metalised Paper) so not film capacitors originally.

David
DMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2024, 2:19 am   #66
RoyceVM
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceVM View Post
Found the motor caps C30a and C30b, they are 2.2 µF 300V and 0.5 µF 300V film capacitors.
Looking at the M8 Service Manual there appears to be a small error/discrepency in relation to the motor capacitors.

On page 19 exploded view it shows a component that looks like a can capacitor, with item # 83-001m. On page 13 Drive Motor Parts List section, item 83-001m is described as Condenser 2.2u + 0.6u

On page 22 schematic motor capacitors are shown as C30a 0.6u C30 2.2u

So from the above, item 83-001m looks to be a dual can capacitor C30a + C30b

The error is that also on page 19 a single capacitor is shown fitted across a 3 way terminal strip identified as C30a. I think most likely this capacitor is actually C29 0.5uF which is switched in to the motor circuit when high speed is selected.

The motor capacitors C30a & C30b are listed as M.P. (Metalised Paper) so not film capacitors originally.

David
Thanks David!