UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2023, 1:05 am   #1
Alan Bain
Pentode

Default Paxolin board under chassis of AR88

Does anyone have a good picture of the paxolin board in an AR88 at the side under the chassis on which some resistors are mounted. The only specimen around here has a decidedly unoriginal board (ditto output transformer) and I thought I had a good photograph but cannot find it and a web search has produced many front panel photographs and a few under chassis pictures where you can see a vertical board but nothing else.

It is what I would call the "usual" type of AR88 with an engraved front panel.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 1:23 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Paxolin board under chassis of AR88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bain View Post
That makes it an early one. Later ones with silk-screened lettering are more common. Does it have all-yellow tuning scale backgrounds as well?

David
Old 18th Mar 2023, 2:19 pm   #3
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

Quote:
Does anyone have a good picture of the paxolin board in an AR88 at the side under the chassis on which some resistors are mounted.
This one? It's the only photo I have that seems to fit your request - hope it is what you are looking for.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221030_101422.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	275243  
Old 18th Mar 2023, 4:16 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
That makes it an early one.
I had a later AR88D with a smooth finish engraved front panel that was an original fit (see photo below)

Lawrence.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rcaar88d.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	275252  
Old 18th Mar 2023, 6:11 pm   #5
gezza123
Heptode

Hi Alan.
don,t know if this may be what you want ,never seen a photo of the audio board
so hope this is what you need.
gezza123
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AR-88D Audio board.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	275259  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AR88D_CHASSIS_LAYOUT.pdf (964.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 18th Mar 2023, 8:27 pm   #6
Alan Bain
Pentode

Thanks gezza123 and G3PIJpeter this is indeed the board and I found the labelled diagram of the under chassis showing where all the Rs and Cs very useful indeed.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 8:35 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Those resistors are droppers in the HT negative return used to create negative bias for the AGC, RF gain control and the output valve. They run rather hot, so if you do anything to them, go for physically larger parts to reduce the surface temperature.

David
Old 19th Mar 2023, 11:07 am   #8
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

See if this ok for you.
kEV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181116_105757.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	275290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_101450 (2).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	275291  
Old 19th Mar 2023, 6:25 pm   #9
Alan Bain
Pentode

Regarding the "all yellow tuning scale backgrounds", I've never quite known what this means. Here is a picture of the tuning dials (carefully cropped to remove the not-very-period HP8662 adjacent, which nevertheless will be ideal for aligning it)

The tuning knob is unfortunately not original. Someone had hacked around the tuning drive and added a slow motion drive, so I have repaired the gearbox but not yet found a proper looking knob.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_5795.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	275305  
Old 20th Mar 2023, 4:11 pm   #10
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi a tuning knob on ebay now nos not cheep ouch https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193340783...Bk9SR87EivnfYQ Mick
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 12:10 am   #11
Alan Bain
Pentode

That prompted me to look for output transformers but it seems I'm not so lucky there... will have to keep using some random thing from an audio amp, but maybe I'll mount it properly rather than having it float about on its leads which seems to have been the previous repair plan....
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 9:39 am   #12
Radio Wrangler

Ther's a lot more demand for audio output transformers than for tuning knobs. The transformers are fairly fragile and get destroyed if the 'That capacitor' starts leaking. RCA in their wisdom increased this likelihood by using two capacitors in parallel to add leakage!

Your photo shows an AR88 with the earlier 'all yellow background' tuning scale. The majority of sets have alternating scale backgrounds with every other scale showing yellow scale and text on a black background.

There was a release of AR88 spares sometime in the 80's and I picked up a spare set of tuning scales and a main tuning knob for my AR88, amongst a few other parts, all for pennies. They were on a stand at the G-QRP doo in Rochdale.

David
Old 24th Mar 2023, 12:29 pm   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Don't forget that cap from the sound o/put anode to deck. Refit across the primary of o/put tx.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 12:52 pm   #14
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

There was a release of AR88 spares sometime in the 80's and I picked up a spare set of tuning scales and a main tuning knob for my AR88, amongst a few other parts, all for pennies. They were on a stand at the G-QRP doo in Rochdale.

David

That was probably Colomor Electronics. In the 1990s I was going to their warehouses near Bedford, and one of them had an enormous stack of new AR-88 spares, all still in the original manufacturer's wrapping. A guy called John Reynolds (now passed away) brought the lot I believe. Where it all is now....no idea!

Richard
Old 24th Mar 2023, 2:21 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

They were indeed in manufacturer's packaging. Interesting to know a little of their history.

I suppose they're all scattered around now, which is good because the ARs potentially needing them are all scattered around too.

Thanks
David
Old 25th Mar 2023, 11:49 pm   #16
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh01uk View Post
That was probably Colomor Electronics. In the 1990s I was going to their warehouses near Bedford, and one of them had an enormous stack of new AR-88 spares, all still in the original manufacturer's wrapping.
That must have been a sight to behold! I recall on visits tio Colomor's outlet on Shepherd's Bush Road how there was always what I recognised as an AR88 output transformer at the side of the counter. There is indeed a scattering of NOS spares around at various events, I was lucky to find a still pale-colour frequency scale for an 'LF recently to replace a very darkened scale, the one on my 'D model is still useably deep yellow fortunately.
Old 26th Mar 2023, 1:54 pm   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

One of the gents on here had a couple of pallets worth of original MOD items including AR88 spares a decade or so ago. Perhaps it was from the same stack referred to here? I bought one or two items including an AR88 OP transformer that was mint and still sealed in the original packing. They had been described over the years as "rarer than rocking horse droppings". My technical skills are largely absent but I was intrigued, during a period when there was a sort of sudden, unexpected, demand for 88's, that some people did manage to substitute "ordinary" re-cycled OT's very successfully when it was always claimed that the originals were a make or break for restoration There is a description of how to do this on line somewhere. I last referred to the OP Tr in the "Mr Carlson does an AR88/CR88 restoration" thread of 21/1/23.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 26th Mar 2023 at 2:01 pm.
Old 26th Mar 2023, 6:15 pm   #18
Alan Bain
Pentode

Thanks to all the helpful info here I can reconstruct the paxolin board (and mount it on standoffs -- I don't have the right terminals, but guess the usual terminal eyes will do), not screwed directly to the chassis like the previous bodge - which required some scraps of paxolin behind it to avoid shorting). I can try an old hifi output transformer as I don't really need the 600 ohm output.

That leaves the question of the various aerovox three-caps-in a can, or maybe more accurately three leak resistors to chassis in a can. They look like the cans are soldered so they should open up with heat from the O-A torch to be restuffed, but the terminal insulators also look decidedly ropey so I guess some kind of solution for them is needed - maybe feedthrough caps? The Mr Carlson video linked shows the caps being soldered directly to chassis but I don't think even my large ERSA iron would do that. Advice would be welcome....
Old 26th Mar 2023, 11:03 pm   #19
Radio Wrangler

Have a hunt around for rivet-on turret terminals. You can make your own tag boards up and they look fantastic. You just need raw paxolin sheet a drill and a punch to form the rivet. It'll still need to go on standoffs.

David
Old 27th Mar 2023, 6:47 pm   #20
Alan Bain
Pentode

Found the turret terminals. Just the thing - thanks for the pointer!
Closed Thread