UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2023, 9:41 pm   #1
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Default German FSE 38/58 now on 6mtrs

I thought I would post an update to my recent posts in the "Parts Wanted" section.
I recently obtained this radio, which I got because I was after the helmet that came with this radio. As part of the system is a helmet mounted blade aerial and matching unit.

The radio was in very nice condition and complete with carrying pouch, box to take spare batteries, handset, aerial and matching unit and coaxial patch lead.

It was crystaled up on 43MHz, with all the original extra channel crystals mounted under the chassis.

It takes a dedicated Ni-Cad 6v pack, but four "AA"'s in a holder will fit in the same position.

On power up it all seemed to work. Problem being a suitable crystal to put me in the Six Metre band.
After quite a few posts, I had the offer of at least two to get me at least going.
I was also pointed in the direction of 40megs R/C crystals, which I have since ordered and am waiting for their arrival.

Tuning up was far more simple than the instruction on the internet suggest.

Switch the internal band selector to the up part of the band. Tweek L1 in the TX module for the strongest signal listening to the crystal frequency on another radio.
Then adjust all the cores to get peak power on TX, all the adjustments were very broad.
On RX all you need to do is adjust the bandpass filter for the strongest signal. It would easily detect -108dBm.

I've managed a QSO across the village and am looking forward to some better weather to take it to the hills.

I'm currently using the whip aerial that was supplied with my FT-817, I really can't see myself walking around with a helmet and blade aerial mounted atop.

Many thanks for all the replies to my initial post.

Nick G0HIK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230316_201507203.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	275138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230316_201530604.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	275139  
Old 16th Mar 2023, 10:36 pm   #2
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: German FSE 38/58 now on 6mtrs

Good that you have got something out of it.
A bit unclear what you used for a crystal for these first tests?

Your description of the helmet reminds me of the "Titfer Antenna" described in RSGB Rad Com sometime in the 1970s. I wasn't going about wearing one of those either...
Old 19th Mar 2023, 6:01 pm   #3
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Default Re: German FSE 38/58 now on 6mtrs

I just used one of the original crystals that came with the radio to test it out. They put it on around 43megs, so ok just for a test in the shack.

The Titfer, maybe ok for use at a rally, but not in the street with ordinary folk

Nick G0HIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
Good that you have got something out of it.
A bit unclear what you used for a crystal for these first tests?

Your description of the helmet reminds me of the "Titfer Antenna" described in RSGB Rad Com sometime in the 1970s. I wasn't going about wearing one of those either...
Closed Thread