UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2023, 2:11 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default My BVWS Committee Position

Those who attended the BVWS AGM at the Biggleswade event today would have heard Greg (chairman) make this announcement on my behalf:

After 21 years I have decided to take a step back from the overall running and decision making of the society, so I am not standing for re-election. However, I am happy to continue as webmaster as a non-committee role for as long as the committee want me, and am also available to help with other projects etc when needed.

I have been on the committee for 21 years, so seven three-year terms. From memory I was initially an ordinary member and took over the webmaster role when Pete Foden stood down from doing it within a year or so.

I had intended to stand down back in 2019 but we had three resignations of committee officers during 2018/19, so I decided to stay on to help give the committee more stability during that time, rather than going in 2020. Even if that hadn't happened, with the start of the pandemic I would have stayed on anyway. We now have a much more stable committee with a great team.

In reality members are unlikely to notice any difference; I'll still be doing the website, portering at RWB and attending RetroTech. I haven't attended an AGM for several years (due to the distance from Cardiff to Harpenden and Biggleswade) so no change there. The main thing is that I won't be attending committee meetings or involved in committee email discussions (other than for things relating to the website etc of course).

Over time I have built and developed the current website, adding features like the auction photos, auction results search, Bulletin contents and article search etc. I have also created the online membership system, the online Pat Leggatt Award voting system, the RetroTechUK website (with Alex's design assistance) and the proposed RetroTechUK stall booking system.

I am also working on a new BVWS website as mentioned in my Webmasters Report.

I did some of the scanning for the four original members CD-ROMs as well as compiling the content and indexes, and likewise for the DVD-ROM sent to new members.

I also led the constitution update project a couple of years ago. Of course, I also help out with the RWB auctions.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th Mar 2023, 2:13 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: My BVWS Committee Position

For context, BVWS committee members normally serve a three-year term. If, at the end of that term, they wish to continue and no other members have put themselves forward (as detailed in the constitution) then they are automatically re-elected unopposed.

In reality new committee members are normally co-opted onto the committee at a committee meeting (after informal discussions about the role with the chairman and relevant committee members) then formally voted on at the next AGM. The same applies with role changes within the committee. In my 21 years on the committee, I do not recall any unexpected committee changes as a result of an AGM.

Although my decision not to stand for another 3-year term was announced today, it was actually discussed with Greg then the rest of the committee several months ago. Today’s announcement is the formal process and the actual date.

Regarding the reference to a new BVWS website, in my webmasters report (presented by Greg) I stated:

Quote:
I am starting to work on a new BVWS website which will have a more modern appearance (but still clean and clear) and work properly on mobile devices. It will also be easier to manage by others, as it will use Wordpress with custom functionality added. I have several ideas for what we could do with this over time. It is very much in the preliminary stages (I’m currently dealing with functionality rather than appearance) but there should be something to show to the committee in a few months. This has to be fitted in around paid work, so it is a longer term project.
I should also mention that this has no effect on this forum or my service data website. These are unrelated to the BVWS.

As this is intended for information rather than discussion, I have closed this thread. If you have any comments or queries, please PM me or contact any of the BVWS committee members.

Paul Stenning
Old 11th Jun 2023, 9:43 am   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: My BVWS Committee Position

I am just bumping this post because it is mentioned in the AGM minutes the Summer Bulletin which is now being delivered.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread