UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2023, 6:11 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Identifying toroid cores for RF use

That's an excellent way to find the conjoint of the ranges "Good for resonated inductors" and "still good enough for transformers". Speedily effisient.

You still need to get down and dirty with Q/loss measurements to split those two ranges.

Be aware that with a bifilar twisted winding you may get transmission line coupling effects at high frequencies, making the top end look more extended than the core is responsible for.

David
Old 9th Mar 2023, 2:25 am   #22
regenfreak
Heptode

Measurement of unloaded Q of an inductor is a tricky business. You have to ensure that the signal generator and scope are weakly coupled to the LC tank to have a minimum of -20db insertion losses in both ends. Then the measured Q and L are indicated readings that include the distributed capacitance of the coil windings. The actual L has to be corrected by finding the distributed capacitance or self resonance frequency of the inductor.
The series LC dip method is not foolproof. It can catch you out if you trust the measurements 100%.
Old 9th Mar 2023, 10:34 am   #23
GMB
Dekatron

I also use an aerial analyser to test torroids but in a much simpler way. I just wind a turn or two through and see what the analyser thinks it is seeing.

EMC ferrites look like resistors. If it shows actual inductance at HF then it is likely to be dust iron. The point here is that it is about loss and a lossy core makes the winding look like a resistor - simple.

Quote:
Toroids are self shielding
Should be - but most people (and commercial companies who should know better) wind them incorrectly!
Old 9th Mar 2023, 5:54 pm   #24
Radio Wrangler

One of the popular EMC ferrite materials, Fair-Rite number 43 makes good inductors into the hundreds of kHz, is great for transformers to well above 30MHz, and doesn't start getting properly lossy until 100MHz.

Other makers have comparable materials and they often turn up as LOPT cores and deflection yokes (The TV gang are gonna lynch me for revealing that!). And you'll also find most RFI sleeves in plastic moulded onto cables are similar.

David
Old 9th Mar 2023, 7:27 pm   #25
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

This is a fine article referring to using a nano VNA

https://pa3a.nl/wp-content/uploads/2...fying-them.pdf
Old 9th Mar 2023, 7:41 pm   #26
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If you're going to be using them for any significant amount of RF power, you need to determine when they will saturate.

B-H curves ! https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...ysteresis.html

I remember one of my competitors used a toroid in a low-frequency RF amp circuit which, when thrashed, heated the toroid beyond its Curie-point.
Old 9th Mar 2023, 9:08 pm   #27
Malcolm T
Hexode

I do not own an mfj analyzer so i,m going to have to think about another option.
Closed Thread