UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2023, 5:05 am   #1
rubicon
Triode

Default Upgraded FRG7

I was recently given a very rusty and unloved Yaesu FRG7, too rough to repair, but too good to throw away.
So, with the help of a disk grinder, the main chassis was repurposed to make a pseudo copy of the Pogson Deltahet receiver , published in a 1963 Australian electronics magazine.
The design replicates the Wadley loop design to such a degree that all the original Yaesu controls and dials function identically to the factory original, despite using 15 vacuum tubes instead of silicon. Even the calibration marks coincide.
My iteration does depart substantially from the Pogson design in order to use available period components. Valve lineup uses 6AU6 sharp cut-off pentodes for the loop amplifiers, audio output and mixers, 6BA6 remote cut-offs for the AGC controlled RF and IF amplifiers, ECH81 triode/hexode for the third mixer and product detector. Finally a 6BL8 triode/pentode becomes the audio preamp, and second mixer. The first IF at 40 megahertz and loop at 37.5 duplicates the RACAL RA17 frequencies, the Yaesu used 55 / 52.5 megs, although the actual frequencies used can vary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0101.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	274335   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0100.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	274336   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0097.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	274337   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0096.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	274338  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 12:28 pm   #2
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: Upgraded FRG7

WOW !!!!... What a project. I have fixed a few "Frog 7"s. Lots of unused space. GOLD star to you Rubicon.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 4th Mar 2023, 12:49 pm   #3
deliverance
Heptode

Very impressive a FRG7 on steroids.
Old 4th Mar 2023, 1:11 pm   #4
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Very impressive. I wonder how the various RF specs compare to a good original FRG7?

I bought new FRG7 in about 1980 after being very disappointed with the newfangled Kenwood R1000. Good on paper but hopeless with a decent antenna, and the front panel 20/40/60 dB attenuator gave the game away!

The FRG7, despite being a much older design, was much better - having a preselector that really did do its job - mostly!
Old 4th Mar 2023, 9:53 pm   #5
rubicon
Triode

Once I get the last few bugaboos ironed out, I will do some tests, although it will outperform the FRG7 by virtue of the higher voltages of valves automatically giving a higher dynamic range, the second mixer is still exposed to the 1 meg wide first IF filtering.
I have noticed this version is very much quieter with background noise than the true FRG7.
One major suprise was the complete lack of birdies and spurs despite having no sheilding, unusual for a multi conversion design.
This one took 2 months to complete, due to having to custom wind each coil, and having only the 1950s iron dust cores/slugs to play with.... these being largely ineffective at the higher frequencies, and of unknown quality.... donated by a few random old TV chassis.
The one shortcut was to use the original FRG7 harmonic generator, nomatter what I tried, a valved version had way too much output, fortunately the low impedance output of the transistorised HG is a perfect match for cathode injection of the third mixer.
Old 12th Mar 2023, 1:02 pm   #6
rubicon
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
Very impressive. I wonder how the various RF specs compare to a good original FRG7?

I bought new FRG7 in about 1980 after being very disappointed with the newfangled Kenwood R1000. Good on paper but hopeless with a decent antenna, and the front panel 20/40/60 dB attenuator gave the game away!

The FRG7, despite being a much older design, was much better - having a preselector that really did do its job - mostly!
Preliminary tests show an MDS of -108dBm, On AM 30 % mod -91dBm for a 12 dB SINAD. Not great but plenty sufficient for HF. Because I keep fiddling with it, this will likely change, umm, probably downward.....
I dont have an unmodified FRG7 to compare.
Closed Thread