UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2023, 7:25 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Square wire in transformers.

In times-past I came across a few transformers made by the US company 'Stancor' which employed an intriguing construction.

They were obviously designed to be 'modular' in that a set of up to 4 bobbins could be stacked on the centre leg of a classic E/I core; the ones that particularly come to mind had a 3-bobbin setup with the primary split into two halves which occupied the outer sides of the 'middle wicket', the secondary sat between them - and the interesting thing was that for a particularly high-current application the secondary was wound with *square* wire, presumably to get the maximum copper-cross-sectional-areainto the available space to minimise losses though I never saw this documented as the reason.

I _do_ remember the description of some of these transformers stating that they were intended to saturate under particular startup conditions though, a bit like the HT/LT transformers in first-generation microwave-ovens,.

Only other place I have come across square-wire windings is in legacy electric-welder units [the type with a big handwheel on the front to control the current] - in those cases the square-wire secondary was often aluminium!
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 8:32 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Square wire in transformers.

I think the square wire was called "magnet wire", possibly from its use in electromagnets.
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 9:03 pm   #3
TowerRadio
Hexode

The voice coil type of positioner in some disk pack drives used square section aluminium windings.Les.
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 9:08 pm   #4
kellys_eye
Octode

I have a transformer for an old inverter (UPS) that has 'oval' wire. Not exactly square but a lot flatter than round. Clearly it's a high current secondary and I'd love to re-purpose the wire but I can't get the laminations apart.
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 9:34 pm   #5
broadgage
Nonode

Rectangular section wire is almost always used in utility sized transformers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q69QOwVbzjY

Shows the assembly of a utility scale transformer and the materials used.

Rectangular section wire is more expensive to manufacture, but this is justified for large transformers as it saves space.
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 11:46 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

Just did a search for "square copper wire". It is sold by craft suppliers for use in making jewellry, and is also available in other metals. "Magnet wire" seems to be a synonym for ordinary varnished copper wire.

Last edited by emeritus; 24th Mar 2023 at 12:03 am. Reason: typos
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 11:57 pm   #7
Silicon
Nonode

Tape profile wire is probably easier to bend compared to the equivalent square section wire.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 12:06 am   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

I've been involved in square-section (0.5mm square) enamelled silver wire for the ultimate low resistance.

Price is rather scarey though!
Old 24th Mar 2023, 12:07 am   #9
Leon Crampin
Octode

Rectangular section wire is used in most high powered automotive starters and alternators. The 50VA or so lamp transformer in my old Braun slide projector also has rectangular section wire for the secondary winding. The packing factor benefits are considerable.

Leon.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 12:09 am   #10
retailer
Heptode

Here's the rectangular X-section windings pulled from a biggish transformer that was part of an off grid inverter, 24VDC to 240AC, switching was done by paralleled TO220 Mosfet's I haven't counted but possibly up to 60 Mosfet's in total. The EI transformer centre leg is approx 55mm wide, stack height approx 90mm lamination are 0.35mm thick each I've given the core to an acquaintance - he intends to make a pair of 'ultimate' SE triode amp output transformers, once he has the design finalised he'll pass it on to me for winding. I'm not convinced of the need for such a big core.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230324_091746.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	275632   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230324_091753.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	275633  
Old 24th Mar 2023, 10:50 am   #11
kellys_eye
Octode

Must be difficult to maintain the insulation properties at the sharp edges of the square wire. Might be why the 'oval' (rounded edge - not quite square) wire in my transformer was used?
Old 24th Mar 2023, 1:15 pm   #12
kalee20
Dekatron

I don't know about rectangular... but the square silver stuff I referred to earlier, is manufactured as round enamelled wire and goes through rollers to create the square profile.

I'd guess that trying to get an even enamel build-up on bare square wire could be difficult!

Incidentally, enamelled rectangular copper wire, of even fairly extreme aspect ratio (4:1 width:thickness), can be wound edgewise with a suitable forming tool, without the enamel splitting. I've done it!
Old 24th Mar 2023, 1:45 pm   #13
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Also used in machine armature coils that are made on a former, taped and fitted into the slots. In these applications the mechanical forces acting on the coils can be considerable so they are bound tightly, with suitable insulation between layers if required, to make each coil a mechanically robust assembly. Rectangular section copper not only improves current density, but improves the dimensional accuracy and stability.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 1:50 pm   #14
duncanlowe
Nonode

I've come across it in loudspeaker voice coils. Claimed to be to improve power handling.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 2:07 pm   #15
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

I remember square wire on the rotating field winding of a 125kVA 3 phase alternator that had to be rewound during the miners strike / 3 day working week.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 2:09 pm   #16
Radio Wrangler

Square wire isn't exactly square. Corners have to be rounded and smooth to allow for uniform varnish coating.

David
Old 24th Mar 2023, 5:52 pm   #17
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

In the linacs I used to work with the electromagnets used to steer the beam of electrons were wound with square section copper tube. Water was pumped through the magnets to keep them cool, they were running at 80-120A. The feed cables were the size of welding cables. They were supplied from a regulated and programmable 3phase supply.
Happy days
Closed Thread