UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2022, 4:46 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default U472 Murphy woes.

This morning I dropped my excellent U472 and it now has 6” crack across the bottom corner , completely through. All advice welcome. It still works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	944976D5-390C-4005-A605-867AD0C4DBFE.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	268847   Click image for larger version

Name:	07C103CE-4E60-4C25-B3FE-7B0463549D67.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	268848  
Old 27th Nov 2022, 7:52 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: U472 Murphy woes.

I've used superglue with good results. Not too much but enough to 'wick' into the crack. Let it set hard. It won't be invisible and will need sanding down (but that will apply to almost any glue you use). Some people like to reinforce it on the inside with car body repair kits (fiberglass patches). Once sanded down, the cabinet can then be sprayed with a matching colour.

Alternatively a donor cabinet from a scrap set......
Old 9th Mar 2023, 5:23 pm   #3
Pete_kaye
Octode

I have completely disassembled and wondering whether to use epoxy resin with 15 mins setting time or superglue with none. The cracked surface is green inside. What does anyone know?Thanks.
Old 9th Mar 2023, 5:56 pm   #4
pip5678
Pentode

Assuming it is Bakelite, do as Sideband says - use superglue. Get an assistant to hold the break apart so you can concentrate on getting the stuff in the gap and it wouldn't do any harm to reinforce with some kind of filler on the inside.

Handy too if you can fine drill and further reinforce with fine round nails or staples glued in with epoxy if there is any possibility of doing that.

I have used this technique with success on Bakelite telephones.
Closed Thread