UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2023, 5:08 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default BVWS Bulletin Volume 1 Number 2

Probably a long-shot but does anyone have a better copy of BVWS Bulletin Volume 1 Number 2 than is on the BVWS website currently, please?

https://www.bvws.org.uk/publications...volume1number2

I am trying to use OCR to embed text for all the scanned issues, which can be read by search engines and voice readers (for those with poor eyesight etc), and will replace those on the website with these versions.

However this issue is scanned from a poor photocopy and the OCR is creating gibberish. It is also quite difficult to read normally.

If anyone has a better copy that I can borrow for scanning or that they can scan for me, please send me a PM or email the webmaster address on the website. Thank you!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 27th Feb 2023, 7:44 pm   #2
Cathovisor
Banned

Default Re: BVWS Bulletin Volume 1 Number 2

Having spent many years reading other people's terrible handwriting I'm pretty good at transcribing such material as this, if that's of any help?

For example, the virtually illegible tops of the early pages on the Milnes units and the Philips 634A I can read and error-correct with relative ease.
Old 27th Feb 2023, 8:57 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I don’t think there is a way of embedding text into PDF files that way, because the text, albeit invisible, is placed where the original text is using similar fonts.

I will look into it though, to see if there is a way as a last resort option.

Paul Stenning
Old 27th Feb 2023, 9:49 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've had a look at my copy of No2 Paul but it doesn't seem to be any better than the one that you have already . Those early sheets are a long way from the very professional, high quality product we admire today but no doubt the early ones were as eagerly awaited as the current Bulletins! I wasn't a BVWS early pioneer or subscriber but the great Chas Miller was at an Antiques Fair in Warrington [mid nineteen eighties 's] and sold me BVWS back numbers along with some of his early Radiophiles. I'd assumed that Vol 1 No 2 would have been produced on one of those machines we had at school to print leaflets etc called Banner something where you turned a handle and got inked up sometimes .

Dave W
Old 27th Feb 2023, 10:00 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It’s useful to know that your copy is no better, as it suggests that’s how they all were, and that issue was especially bad. With the low membership at the time, right at the beginning of the society’s life, photocopying or duplicating would have been the only option.

I’m going to try a couple of online OCR services with the file to see if they do any better than the OCR functionality in the PDF XChange Editor software I use, but not expecting miracles.

Paul Stenning
Old 27th Feb 2023, 10:16 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I'll have a check of that one of the copies I purchased a while back at a Radiophile auction, but I think they turned out to be prints from the PDF versions despite being described in the catalogue as originals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I'd assumed that Vol 1 No 2 would have been produced on one of those machines we had at school to print leaflets etc called Banner something where you turned a handle and got inked up sometimes .
That would be a Banda duplicator - which generally created purple copies. I think it more likely to be a Gestetner, in which copies were created from a stencil cut using either a stylus or a typewriter without an ink ribbon in it.
Old 27th Feb 2023, 10:28 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Your in luck, I would describe my version as 99% perfect. Please PM me to where you would like scan sent, and what format.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2654.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	274068  

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 27th Feb 2023 at 10:35 pm.
Old 27th Feb 2023, 10:32 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Hi John

That’s excellent, thank you. I will PM you now.

Paul Stenning
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 3:17 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

John's copy is indeed much better quality, and OCRs well.

Thank you John for checking and sending it to me.

It will be on the BVWS website in due course and I have attached it here for anyone who wants to grab it now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BVWS_Bulletin_01_2.pdf (1.34 MB, 88 views)

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread