UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2022, 6:05 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Ferguson 3248 R2R Checkout

Around 1970 vintage, 2 track, 2 speed, mono solid-state reel to reel recorder.

A small (although it can take 7" spools) compact and lightweight recorder, rather flimsily looking.

Brought this for spares support of my Ferguson 3216, which has a dead VU meter, I am hoping that the VU meter in the 3248 works and is compatible with the 3216, it has a similar Ferguson part number.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=182274

The 3248 has automatic record mode as well as manual so less important if its VU meter does not work (would fit the dead meter from the 3216 into the 3248).

Somewhat tatty condition and arrived with damage that was not there in the sales photos, top right corner of top panel is broken and top perspex lid is cracked.

Pressed down the tape transport piano keys and "Play" would not move so I pushed it a bit harder and the key completely snapped off, maybe could be glue repaired but first need to find out why it appears jammed solid.

Removing the rear panel and see there are 2 information labels on the back of the panel, one of which shows information for the 4 drive belts, this is useful and somewhat unusual.

Can see that the speed change belt is broken and can see a few red sticky remnants of the tape counter belt. Have not yet worked out how to remove the top panel to see what the remaining 2 belts are like.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	268285   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	268286   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	268287   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	268288  
Old 18th Nov 2022, 11:01 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 3248 R2R Checkout

Removed the top panel, it was just the 3 push on control knobs that was stopping it coming off, the volume control knob was extremely difficult to remove.

This showed that the remaining 2 drive belts were also broken, so all 4 drive belts will need to be renewed but I will only think of doing this if can get the Play key to work without breaking again.

Removed the VU meter (Bertram) and later will try it in the 3216.

Had quick look at the broken Play key. Can manually (without too much effort) operate the Play mechanism from inside the recorder, but the initially the Play key itself felt jammed solid but by manually moving the Play mechanism away from the Play key was able to move the broken Play key, so not sure why originally the key would not move. Needs more looking at.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Broken Drive Belts.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	268314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removed VU Meter.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	268315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Play Key.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	268316  
Old 19th Nov 2022, 3:06 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

During the above a small brown flexible rubber/plastic horseshoe shaped piece fell out, no idea where it belongs, probably not important.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	47
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	268349  
Old 19th Nov 2022, 7:45 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Removed the broken Play key and also the identical Rewind key.

Fitted the Rewind key in the Play position and no problem then operating Play, so once the Play key is glue repaired then hopefully it will work OK.

Then found a tiny white plastic piece that had had broken off the latching mechanism for the Play key. May be able to glue the piece back on but probably will have to remove the complete latching mechanism that does not look easy. How long a glue repair might last is unknown, it looks like there is a lot of pressure/force on the little latching pieces when the appropriate key is latched down.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Broken Play and Rewind Keys.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	268374  
Old 19th Nov 2022, 8:44 pm   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

The mechanism shown in the photos of post #2 bears an uncanny resemblance to that used in the Philips N4307 and N4308 models.
Old 20th Nov 2022, 12:11 am   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The service manual says the 3248 uses the BRC DF422 tape deck.

David
Old 20th Nov 2022, 8:36 am   #7
dazzlevision
Dekatron

I read somewhere that the person who designed the Philips N4308 mech (which was used in earlier models, such as the EL3558) moved to Thorn and designed the tape decks that replaced the preceding Thorn DC43, DC432, DB42 and DB21 decks, which were more expensive to make.

I think this photo of an N4308 deck does highlight the similarities.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Philips N4308-55 Nr 167359 top of deck - no flash.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	268386  
Old 20th Nov 2022, 10:40 am   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes does look quite similar.

David
Old 20th Nov 2022, 10:48 am   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

More damage found, although do not know if it existed pre shipping.

Having a real struggle removing the latching bar to be able to glue repair broken Play latching piece.

To remove it, have to have the Record, Rewind, FFD & Play actuating levers retracted all together at the same time, I can manually retract them one at a time, but with any one retracted, it mechanically stops (i.e. interlocked) one or more of the remaining levers from being retracted.

So looks like I need to remove at least 2 of the levers which does not look easy.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221119_163526180.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	268387  
Old 20th Nov 2022, 6:18 pm   #10
DMcMahon
Dekatron

After quite a difficult mini strip down managed to remove the latching bar and have glued the broken Play piece back onto it (not much material to glue so not very confident that the repair will last that long) and also have glued the broken Play key.

Loads of bits to re-assemble. Durings strip down found that the Pinch Roller assembly was somewhat stiff to rotate on its mounting shaft so removed which involved having to remove the flywheel and partially remove the heads assembly.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221119_204510414.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	268415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221120_132845033.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	268416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221120_134553117.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	268417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latching bar.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	268418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repaired items.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	268419  

Old 20th Nov 2022, 6:33 pm   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Around 1970 vintage, 2 track, 2 speed, mono solid-state reel to reel recorder.

David
Typo error above, 2 track should have read 4 track.

David
Old 20th Nov 2022, 11:31 pm   #12
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Very frustratingly I have hit a brick wall at the first step of re-assembly.

First part I refitted was the repaired latching bar but have not been able to get it to slide/fit into the slots in the metalwork.

At first I thought it was due to a buildup of excess glue on the repaired Play latch piece but after filing the glue down still no good.

Very difficult to see/determine what is stopping it from fitting correctly, but looking at it under a large magnifying glas, it looks like all 5 latching pieces are fouling the metalwork stopping the latching pieces from sliding into the metalwork slots. It also was very tight to remove originally.

Tried all sorts of things like greasing the slots and the latch pieces. Have been using a reasonable amount of force, but afraid if too much force is used the repaired Play latching piece will break off again, plus the other 4 latching pieces all look fragile.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	268436  

Last edited by DMcMahon; 20th Nov 2022 at 11:38 pm.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 11:41 pm   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

After much struggling this morning and trying all sorts, eventually got the latching bar to fit correctly by removing the Pause key and actuator lever to gain better access to one end of the latching bar, then using a small block of wood and small hammer hit the latching bar gently until it slowly slid into position.

This was a major relief as was running out of patience and was close to throwing all of it into the dustbin !

Next part to fit was the Rewind Plate complete with 2 small rewind pulleys, while fitting it one of the pulleys fell out. Found that the pulley shafts appeared to be secured by 2 tiny plastic washers but on the pulley that fell out the washers were no longer holding the shaft tight. The drawing in the manual shows a circlip in-between the 2 plastic washers, strange to have a plastic washer on the outside of the circlip ?

The pulley shafts do have circlip grooves so found a small circlip and fitted, there definitely were no circlips fitted at strip down.

Loads of bits to refit, some of them tricky.

4 wires have broken off the Auto/Manual record switch, due to the front control panel hanging down and stressing the wires every time the chassis is moved.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Latching bar in position.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	268536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Record switch broken wires.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	268537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221121_214933329.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	268538  

Last edited by DMcMahon; 21st Nov 2022 at 11:47 pm.
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 1:40 am   #14
ben
Dekatron

I once had one of these with a broken key but that was 30 odd years ago and cannnot recall what became of it.

You are right about the extremely flimsy cabinets. I doubt they were very durable to begin with. I have a very similar one which I bought online and the motor was loose in that. The struts had broken. I think the problem is compounded as the plastic is very brittle with age and that goes for the mechanical bits like those on your keys.

I do like them though, as they're nice and compact units and can take the bigger spools.
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 12:11 pm   #15
Silicon
Nonode

I am following this with interest. We still have the model 3247 single speed version.

I repaired the Play key on that with Araldite back in the 70s.
It must need new belts. Where do you get them from?
When I get time I will see if it works and maybe play some of the recordings we took from the TV.
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 12:26 pm   #16
DMcMahon
Dekatron

There is one eBay seller selling a set of 3 belts for the Ferguson 3226, 3246 and 3248.

But my model 3248 requires 4 belts so possibly the 3 belt set may be OK for your 3247, it not requiring the 4th speed change belt.

David
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 12:51 pm   #17
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Just about to restart re-assembly and realise have a major problem.

The latch bar that I had to knock into position is now firmly stuck

The bar is connected to the Stop solenoid and when actuated the solenoid should pivot the latch bar to release any latched key.

Because of the problems I had getting the latch bar into the correct position I cannot see a quick or easy solution forthcoming, so have decided to abort this machine and add it to the very long list of things to do later, a long way down in terms of priority.

I will re-assemble everything so as not to loose any of the many bits.

David
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 4:21 pm   #18
ben
Dekatron

Never mind, can't win 'em all. One day you'll get back to it I'm sure.

I should also have pointed out that mine has bad transistors in the amp, I think those little round headed black ones (OC something?). It is in my round to it pile also!
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 10:45 am   #19
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes hopefully one day but realistically it will be a long way away.

Very difficult to read the numbers on the black headed transistors, on the schematic they are shown as AF2, AF15 etc which seem to be Silicon and maybe BRC classifications.

In the service manual for transistor replacements they list Silicon transistors such as BC109.

David
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 8:59 pm   #20
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Still slowly re-assembling everything. At one stage while turning the unit over a 5mm steel ball bearing fell out from the unit, cannot see where this belongs ?

Seem to have an excess of circlips and associated washers left over ?

While refitting the heads block assembly saw that the Record/Playback head was well tilted over to the right side. Initially thought it must have got a knock during all the work done during strip down but can see in pre strip down photos that it was the same before, so must have been like this when it arrived.

The head can easily be levelled up with its azimuth adjustment screw.

I have removed the 2 core mains cable with its 2 pin plug, will replace with 3 core/3 pin and earth the chassis metalwork. Then will power it up to see if the motor runs and also if the power supply voltages are OK, to see if worth keeping to try and get it running later on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221122_160508961.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	268629  
Closed Thread