UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2022, 10:57 am   #1
Simon1966
Diode

Default Dansette Monarch - Mains Cover is warped

Hi
The fibreboard(?) mains / amp cover (slotted grey leatherette on some type of fibreboard marked "Warning Disconnect Mains Before Removing Cover)on my Dansette Monarch is warped. What is the best way to flatten it out...do i dampen the rear and clamp? Do i use steam iron on rear? Recommendations please.
I don't want to damage the leatherette which is in really good condition
Cheers
Old 20th Sep 2022, 12:13 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Monarch - Mains Cover is warped

Some info available if you enter fibreboard and flatten into the search box at the top centre of this page.
Old 20th Sep 2022, 3:14 pm   #3
JonSnell
Hexode

The material is hardboard (fibreboard) with a decorative leatherette covering on one side.
Moisture over many years will warp it. I would try a fine water spray or steam, to soften the fibre side of the board and then press it back to shape, sandwiched between cardboard on the decorative side and a flat heavy weight on the fibre side.
It may take a couple of days to dry thoroughly but will retain the original shape when dry.
Old 20th Sep 2022, 4:45 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell View Post
I would try a fine water spray or steam...
or you could try leaving it in the bathroom while somebody has a long, hot bath.
Old 22nd Sep 2022, 12:23 pm   #5
Simon1966
Diode

Thanks all...i thought that moisture or steam and then clamping would be the answer, will give it a go!
Much appreciated
Closed Thread