UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2021, 8:58 pm   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC set to identify

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
From memory, I think the UHF tuner stayed on the IF panel at the bottom of the chassis. The two previously separate decoder boards (with their bridging panel) became one, using the later IC set.
I’d need to unearth the GEC service manual to be 100% sure!
That's right, it's all coming back now. The original four chip multi-board decoder was replaced by a single PCB assembly with three ICs.
The signals board remained more or less the same as the original 1972 design.
In 1978 the solid-state GEC chassis received further modifications to improve performance. Out with the thyristor power supply and in with a new switch mode PSU which was installed at the top of the chassis. If my memory serves me well the new power supply circuit was designed around the Siemens TDA4600 IC.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 11:36 pm   #22
Richard_FM
Octode

Thanks for the feedback I was hoping VRAT had a picture in their brochure scans, but I knew it would be identified quickly here.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 8:41 am   #23
regentone001
Heptode

Did they do an ultrasonic remote control version? I remember my parents renting a set which looked similar which had the remote. You would be watching something when it would just change channel. It turned out to be the central heating boiler (Baxi Bermuda) ignition which caused the problem
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 10:59 am   #24
toshiba tony
Heptode

Yes, I'm sure they did, channel change and mute only.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 12:50 pm   #25
System A
Pentode

Hi everyone, I have a 26" model 2147 with the touch tuner . It's date stamped 1975 so it must be the last version of that series. It has been outstandingly reliable but it does suffer from flickering neons.
Regards Gary.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 1:50 pm   #26
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Some firms advertising in Television magazine used to supply a standard switchbank and escutcheon for this model when all else failed. Looked a bit ugly but sorted the random channel change for good.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 2:54 pm   #27
Richard_FM
Octode

I'm too young to remember it, but my parents used to rent this GEC 2121 (from Granada I think) where the touch selectors & neons had been replaced by the channel buttons used on many sets in the 1970s.

Later on we rented a set like this Granada badged Decca, but I remember it had sliding controls rather than knobs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nts1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	225204   Click image for larger version

Name:	109798705_190624379069172_2394261030720774150_n.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	225205  
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 3:09 pm   #28
steve1010uk
Pentode

Fixed hundreds of these when I worked for British Relay, I don't remember the neon version most of ours were 20 inch and a mixture of aerial and cable versions, I did have the odd smoothing block arcing at the rivets ( bit like G11)
the 3.15 amp mains fuse used to blow and looking at the holder you could usually see it had been arcing so the holder was also replaced .

I used to carry araldite rapid and repair the mains switch and tuner cabinet mountings with a combination of glue and longer screws warning the customer to leave it a hour or so before using.

Usual faults were the Tripler, 47v zener PSU resistors and noisy set HT pot and occasionally hard to find intermittent through the board links on the decoder panel etc.

Simple sets to repair ( usually) and always gave good pictures.

Steve
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 3:47 pm   #29
toshiba tony
Heptode

To me they always had a reputation of cheapness but I liked them, very predictable fault wise. We used to get random triggering of sprung power resistors, and after long soaks they never popped. But we honestly!!!! never resoldered them so they wouldn't pop again. They were good rental sets, alongside them them we had two chip Bushes (A823) and Thorn 3000\3500's.
And a few 9000's but the GEC's were the most reliable. Happy days.
OK, the Sony 1330 and the 1810's looked the part but the GEC's were less bother, sorry, 1330's were good.
Old 24th Jan 2021, 12:37 am   #30
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1010uk View Post
Fixed hundreds of these when I worked for British Relay, I don't remember the neon version most of ours were 20 inch and a mixture of aerial and cable versions, I did have the odd smoothing block arcing at the rivets ( bit like G11)
the 3.15 amp mains fuse used to blow and looking at the holder you could usually see it had been arcing so the holder was also replaced .

I used to carry araldite rapid and repair the mains switch and tuner cabinet mountings with a combination of glue and longer screws warning the customer to leave it a hour or so before using.

Usual faults were the Tripler, 47v zener PSU resistors and noisy set HT pot and occasionally hard to find intermittent through the board links on the decoder panel etc.

Simple sets to repair ( usually) and always gave good pictures.

Steve
I've heard that British Relay sets normally had 4 buttons with a switch to select between TV and Radio.

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2004/01/01/rentals

This article mentions the British Relay system in Whitehaven, I'm not sure if it was the same for other ones run by them.