UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2024, 12:16 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: T1154 conversion to solid state? or more available valves

Richard makes a very good point in #19. There are major public liability issues if the general public is allowed anywhere near this sort of kit when it's powered up, and the museum's insurers will go bananas unless everyone involved is very careful indeed.
Old 25th Mar 2024, 12:43 pm   #22
m0cemdave
Octode

There is (or was - the museum is closing in June to make way for the inevitable housing estate) a fully working set at the RAF Comms Museum at Henlow. Visitors can operate it, into a dummy load.
But that museum is run by ex communications professionals, rather than the current crop of "Exhibition Management" types...
Old 25th Mar 2024, 9:51 pm   #23
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Martin,

I will have a word with a friend, to see if we can source you some PT15s, and the MHL6 which I think are also used.....

The ironwork for a suitable PSU is not exactly trivial.
Old 26th Mar 2024, 6:52 am   #24
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Martin, PM me your address and email details and I'll get something sorted when I'm back home next week

Ed
Old 26th Mar 2024, 10:01 am   #25
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Martin,

I will have a word with a friend, to see if we can source you some PT15s, and the MHL6 which I think are also used.....

The ironwork for a suitable PSU is not exactly trivial.
Thanks Sean,
It appears to have 'working' MHL6's present, although of course I can't easily prove that just now (can barely afford the diesel to go collect all these bits let along buy a valve tester!) but anything anyone can do to help with bits and pieces is always useful. I expect this to be a slow job, a suitable PSU being the first task really, whether built, scrounged or simply on loan for a half hours worth of testing!

I do have the feelers out in many places. We have a stonking contact at Yorkshire Air Museum who is a proper little goldmine of spares and more importantly information, and a good working relationship between our museums.

Our little museum was only founded 18 months ago! I've been with them maybe 6 months, and the building transformation this last week is astounding!

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 26th Mar 2024, 10:07 am   #26
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
There is (or was - the museum is closing in June to make way for the inevitable housing estate) a fully working set at the RAF Comms Museum at Henlow. Visitors can operate it, into a dummy load.
But that museum is run by ex communications professionals, rather than the current crop of "Exhibition Management" types...
Already have an official "register of interest" lodged with them, but also planning on visiting on their remaining days to try and set up a rapport face to face.
I honestly can't believe such a museum has to close, but it's how it is. I know what you mean about "exhibition management" types. I personally dislike "forced narrative" museums, where you have to walk one way around and everything is on cards to read or those damn awful headphones. We don't work that way! At RAF Snaith museum, yes we have labels on things, but we also have incredibly knowledgeable volunteers with real passion for their history and field. We will talk your hind legs off! Point at an artifact and we will natter about if all day if you want!

Old 26th Mar 2024, 10:24 am   #27
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

I would like to make a general statement now if I may,

There have been a number of comments on this thread which have quite disgruntled me, and to be honest a few I consider rather snide and disrespectful. I will not however refer to specifics here.

Those who have correctly read my initial post will know that I simply made an enquiry as to whether certain things were indeed possible, and as to whether there was any known articles detailing such.

At NO point have I stated that my intention was to convert the T1154 to solid state. I only asked had it ever been done. The snide remarks concerning the integrity of both myself and the museum in regards to authenticity and history were frankly uncalled for and misinformed.

There were also comments about whether a static display in original form or an authentic visual hiding modern interactive or operational equipment was suitable, with voiced opinions regarding this. I ask - in an educational setting, which all museums should be, which do you really prefer? Removing your own bias as vintage enthusiasts, and putting yourself in the place of the ordinary member of the public or a school party - a dull static display of a box, or watching the equipment actually in action? But again, this is an irrelevancy, nothing to do with what I asked.

There were also comments about safety, insurance etc. All irrelevant to my enquiry! Such things are all in hand. I'm a secondary teacher, I know very well about safety and safeguarding! I can assure you that NO ONE unauthorised will be anywhere near any HT! I have obtained a specific radio room where it is impossible to enter unless accompanied, and it is strictly under my control. Live demonstrations of equipment will be observed from a barrier.

One final note, mention was made about the piffling cost of PF15s.... well, all I can say is, if the cost is trivial to you, feel free to buy them for us! I take nothing from museum funds, all this is paid for out my own meagre pocket. Hence why museums are permanently on the scrounge. Museums don't make money! It's a daily fight to budget just to put the heating on. There are no paid staff, we are all volunteers, and this will be our first time charging an entrance fee. Our takings over the coming weekend will probably cover our costs.

Now, may we actually get back to addressing the original question? If anyone can direct me to any articles on conversion, please do.

Otherwise, mods I'm happy for this thread to be closed to avoid any further slide off topic.

Old 26th Mar 2024, 3:38 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

I'll take up the closure suggestion. Any help, offers of PT15 donations etc, PM Martin.

The thread on museum exhibitions etc is up and running.

David